Cleeve cruise through to quar­ter-fi­nals of cup

Gloucestershire Echo - - FOOTBALL -

» BISHOP’S Cleeve pro­gressed to the quar­ter-fi­nals of the Bluefin Sports Hel­lenic Chal­lenge Cup with a com­fort­able 5-0 win over Clan­field 85 at Kayte Lane, writes Billy Mun­day

El­liot Kennedy opened the scor­ing when his cross found its way in­side the far post to give Cleeve the lead at half-time.

A brace from Brad Mar­tin and a pow­er­ful strike from Adam Mace put the hosts 4-0 ahead be­fore the hour mark.

Joe Bates rounded off the scor­ing in for­tu­nate fash­ion when he net­ted di­rectly from a cor­ner in the clos­ing stages.

De­spite the lengthy score line, Steve Cleal’s side were tested and frus­trated by their op­po­nents for much of the first half. Clan­field’s Cal­lum Miller had a shot blocked on the line be­fore Jordi Mul­vaney struck the bar dur­ing an un­con­vinc­ing pe­riod at the back for Cleeve.

After a spell of pres­sure from the vis­i­tors, an ex­cel­lent point-blank save from James Domm at a Cleeve cor­ner was the only thing keep­ing the scores level.

Kennedy also tested Domm with a header but, like sev­eral of the ef­forts he’d faced al­ready in the game, Domm dealt with it eas­ily.

How­ever, he and his de­fence were caught un­awares when Kennedy, sup­ply­ing this time, bent an in­swing­ing cross to­wards Mar­tin.

The striker couldn’t get a toe on it, in fact, no one got any­thing on it and it ended up in the back of Domm’s net.

The hosts came close to dou­bling their lead twice be­fore the break. Kevin Slack flashed a shot across goal from a tight an­gle be­fore Kennedy forced Domm into an­other im­pres­sive save.

Cleeve boss Cleal re­vealed what he said to his play­ers at half time af­ter­wards: “We had a lot of posses­sion in the first half but it was all lethar­gic and quite slow. So I said the im­por­tant thing is, we need to up tempo and do ev­ery­thing a bit quicker to drag out Clan­field a bit more.”

That higher tempo pro­duced three more goals in the space of 15 min­utes to put Cleeve out of sight in this cup tie.

First, Mar­tin headed in Adam Mace’s cross be­fore Mace him­self nes­tled one in the far cor­ner with a drilled strike from the edge of the penalty area.

“Mace’s goal was top-draw qual­ity - he’s got that in his locker. He’s a plea­sure to work with. He’s got good tech­nique, good abil­ity and he’s a very good foot­baller,” Cleal lauded his left-back after the game.

Mar­tin dou­bled his goal tally, con­vert­ing from Kennedy’s low cross on the hour mark be­fore Ash Davies, the even­tual man of the match, was un­able to fin­ish hav­ing strode through the Clan­field de­fence.

Cleal was also im­pressed with Davies’ dis­play: “Ash has been bril­liant ev­ery time he’s played for us. He was su­perb, he cov­ered ev­ery blade of grass.

“He’s got a bit of an ag­gres­sive streak about him as well.”

The vis­i­tors’ strug­gles in de­fence were un­der­lined once more when Joe Bates’s cor­ner found its way through two or three red shirts and past the goal­keeper at the near post.

The post de­nied Mace his sec­ond in the clos­ing min­utes but Cleeve pro­gressed with­out a prob­lem into the quar­ter-fi­nals.

» Chel­tenham Sara­cens are also in the last eight, but with­out kick­ing a ball as AFC Al­der­mas­ton were un­able to raise a side on Satur­day.

» BISHOP’S Cleeve were 7-2 win­ners over Old­land Ab­boto­ni­ans to reach the last eight of the GFA Tro­phy on Tues­day night.

Cleeve led after three min­utes through Brad Mar­tin but Mail equalised for Western League side Old­land with seven min­utes on the clock.

But Mar­tin re­stored Cleeve’s lead after 20 min­utes as his shot looped off a de­fender into the net.

Mar­tin was then fouled in the box and El­liott Kennedy stepped up to make it 3-1 from the penalty spot.

Kennedy’s sec­ond made it 4-1 be­fore half-time and Mar­tin com­pleted his hat-trick on the hour to make it five.

A sec­ond penalty was con­verted by Joe Bates with 10 min­utes to go and the striker added a sec­ond with seven min­utes to go be­fore Old­land’s Tan­ner com­pleted the scor­ing in the fi­nal minute of the game.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.