» Don’t miss eight pages of puzzles, quizzes and sudoku
1. What name is given to the cleansing of fabrics and garments using solvents other than water?
A Dry cleaning B Steam Cleaning C Sans-eau cleansing D Speed Cleaning
2. In which county was the churchyard of Thomas Gray’s famous Elegy?
A Buckinghamshire B West Yorkshire C Kent D Cumbria
3. Who played the title role in Magnum P.I.?
A Bruce Willis B Tom Selleck C Burt Reynolds D Clint Eastwood
4. Which Florentine painter’s nickname is derived from the Italian for little barrel?
A Sandro Barrelli B Sandro Littillio C Sandro Botticelli D Sandro Pettitio
5. Where was the first permanent English settlement in the US?
A New York B Philadelphia C Jamestown D Chicago
6. Which recent BBC comedy special starred comedian Harry Enfield as Richard Branson?
A City of Dreams B Place of Dreams C Country of Dreams D Island of Dreams
7. What sort of fruit is a morello?
A Melon B Cherry C Strawberry D Apple
8. Which Welsh castle was the scene of the investiture of Prince Charles as Prince of Wales in 1969?
A Caernarvon Castle B Pembroke Castle C Rhondda Castle D Castle Idris
9. What was the most famous TV role of actor Jay Silverheels?
A Bobo B Hobo C Kendo D Tonto
10. In Greek drama what were the actors who described and commented on the action called?
A The chorus B The narrators C The eunuchs D The furies
11. Which former cabinet minister and General Synod member joined the Roman Catholic church?
A James Pacy B John Gummer C Jonathan Aitken D Richard Kennedy
12. Which country won the 1974 World Cup?
A Argentina B Brazil C West Germany D Italy
13. What is the world’s largest desert?
A The Gobi desert B The Libyan desert C The Sahara desert D The Syrian desert
14. Which London Underground line is coloured black on the network map?
A Bakerloo B Circle C Piccadilly D Northern line
15. Which glass and iron building was designed by Sir Joseph Paxton for the Great Exhibition of 1851?
A Earls Court B Wembley Arena C Brixton Academy D Crystal Palace
Harry Enfield See Question 6.