General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which US government department is represented by the initials CIA?
A Criminal Investigative Agency B Central Internal Authority C Central Intelligence Agency D Crime Initiative Association
2. Which ‘angry young man’ wrote the novels Lucky Jim and The Old Devils?
A Kingsley Amis B John Wain C John Braine D Stan Barstow
3. Of which mountain system is Mount Gerlachovka the highest peak?
A The Alps B The Carpathians C The Pyrenees D The Cairn Gorm
4. Which acute viral infection killed about 20 million people in an epidemic in 1918-19?
A Typhoid B Influenza C Hepatitis D Rubella
5. Who was the last Saxon king of England?
A Edward the Martyr B Harold II C Edgar D Alfred the Great
6. Which actor completes the trio of judges on the new BBC One talent show The Greatest Dancer, alongside singer Cheryl and former Strictly professional Oti Mabuse?
A Alfonso Ribeiro B Donny Osmond C Matthew Morrison D Drew Lachey
7. What was Bruce Willis’s character in the TV series Moonlighting called?
A David Addison B Michael Fox C Barry Frank D Joey Ritchie
8. After which Roman general was the Fabian Society named?
A Fabia Majestica B Fabium Imperia C Fabius Maximus D Fabias Regalis
9. Who played Jim Phelps in TV’S Mission: Impossible?
A Richard Graves B Robert Graves C Peter Graves D Marshall Graves
10. Which great English Metaphysical poet was appointed Dean of St Paul’s in 1621?
A Sir Walter Raleigh B Ben Jonson C Andrew Marvell D John Donne
11. Which former viceroy of India was the great-grandson of Queen Victoria?
A Earl Mountbatten B Earl Snowdon C Earl Stansgate D Earl Salisbury
12. Which meteorological instrument was invented by Evangelista Torricelli?
A Weather cock B Mercury barometer C Wind Sock D Torricelli meter
13. What is the capital of Colombia?
A Papayan B Bogota C Manizales D Caracas
14. Which Liverpool rock band released an album entitled Mother Nature Calls?
A Cast B Oasis C Ocean Colour Scene D Blur
15. Who sailed around the world in the Gipsy Moth IV?
A Frank Butcher B Francis Doncaster C Frank Rogers D Francis Chichester
Oti Mabuse See Question 6.