Boots Cor­ner Nearly £1.3mil­lion is raised from fin­ing mo­torists

Gloucestershire Echo - - NEWS - Leigh BOOBYER [email protected]­plc.com

NEARLY £1.3mil­lion has been pock­eted from mo­torists driv­ing through Chel­tenham’s closed through-route Boots Cor­ner.

Glouces­ter­shire County Coun­cil have been mon­i­tor­ing the sec­tion of Clarence Street with cam­eras since Au­gust last year.

The town cen­tre route shut to gen­eral through traf­fic on June 28, 2018 as a trial, be­fore fines for breaches came in on Au­gust 13.

Ac­cord­ing to a Free­dom of In­for­ma­tion re­quest, £1.299m went straight to the county coun­cil from driv­ers caught out by the cam­eras over the seven month pe­riod up to March 31.

And the au­thor­ity said 47,976 fines had been is­sued to driv­ers in the seven months af­ter they were brought in.

The trial has seen gen­eral traf­fic banned from us­ing the route as part of Chel­tenham Bor­ough Coun­cil-led scheme to make the town cen­tre through-route more pedes­trian friendly.

Only ex­empt ve­hi­cles, such as buses and taxis, can pass through.

The county coun­cil has con­firmed all the money gained through Boots Cor

ner fines will only be spent in the town.

Phillip Wil­liams, lead com­mis­sioner at the county coun­cil, said: “The county coun­cil has com­mit­ted to us­ing any sur­plus money from the bus lane in Clarence Street to im­prove Chel­tenham’s roads and pave­ments for pedes­tri­ans and cy­clists, once costs to im­ple­ment and sup­port the scheme have been taken into ac­count.”

The de­ci­sion was due to be made by the county coun­cil in Fe­bru­ary 2019 to ei­ther mod­ify the scheme up un­til De­cem­ber or scrap it al­to­gether.

The au­thor­ity, along with Chel­tenham Bor­ough Coun­cil, de­cided that the trial will be ex­tended to De­cem­ber 2019.

The next move in the traf­fic scheme will see Rodney Road have calm­ing mea­sures in­tro­duced.

It is not yet con­firmed what these might be, but they can be in the form of bol­lards, road nar­row­ing meth­ods or road humps.

Two-way traf­fic is to be in­tro­duced in part of the area near Boots Cor­ner, where traders have com­plained about a lack of ac­cess to their busi­nesses.

A re­vised con­cept, which the bor­ough coun­cil says will soon be il­lus­trated in a vis­ual plan, will see the start of the trial area moved to a point in Clarence Street be­tween Post Of­fice Lane and Im­pe­rial Cir­cus.

This change will mean Clarence Pa­rade and the western end of Clarence Street will be opened to all ve­hi­cles with two-way traf­fic flow.

The Pittville Street to North Street cor­ri­dor will be cov­ered by a 24-hour pro­hi­bi­tion of driv­ing or­der, with ex­emp­tions for buses, taxis and pri­vate hire ve­hi­cles with ser­vice ac­cess be­tween 6pm and 10am.

In­cluded in the changes will be ad­di­tional blue badge park­ing bays in Winch­combe Street, im­me­di­ately north of the High Street, and a no-wait­ing at any time re­stric­tion put on Post Of­fice Lane.

The area around Boots Cor­ner

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.