Cooper and Bvuma see All Golds to fine vic­tory

Gloucestershire Echo - - ATHLETICS -

DALE Cooper’s pow­er­ful break mid­way through the se­cond half ended a po­ten­tial fight­back from the Cardiff Blue Drag­ons and saw the All Golds to a 40-14 win at St Peter’s.

Winger Ge­orge Bvuma scored two sen­sa­tional long dis­tance tries in the first half of a man of the match per­for­mance in his first ap­pear­ance for the club.

Look­ing to get back to win­ning ways af­ter last week’s de­feat at Tor­faen, the All Golds started well, com­plet­ing their first two sets and Paul Bol­ger al­most opened the scor­ing.

How­ever, af­ter five min­utes, Bvuma made his first telling im­pact. Af­ter tak­ing the ball from first re­ceiver in­side his own half, he sliced through a gap in the de­fence, beat the full back and raced away to the posts. Rhys Evans added the ex­tras for the per­fect start.

The sides then traded blows un­til an­other un­forced er­ror from the Blue Drag­ons, fol­lowed by the con­ces­sion of a penalty gave the All Golds field po­si­tion from which Jorge Cabral forced his way over for an un­con­verted score.

The All Golds went straight down­field to col­lect their third try. Luke Stephens made the ini­tial break and was on hand to col­lect Jack Uren’s de­light­ful flick pass to score.

At 16-0 down, Cardiff had to score next to stay in touch with a ram­pant All Golds and af­ter re­gath­er­ing the restart, good work on the last tackle saw Corey Im­per­ato blast his way over. Jack Dry­den’s conversion hit a post.

They con­tin­ued to press but an er­ror gave the All Golds a scrum in their own half and Bvuma took the first carry.

Break­ing a tackle, he sim­ply had too much pace for the cover and can­tered to the posts. Evans’ goal made it 22-4 with five min­utes to go to the in­ter­val.

Be­fore the sides swapped ends, the Blue Drag­ons gave no­tice they were not out of it quite yet as Duane Iles scored a fine try by the posts.

The se­cond half started in sen­sa­tional fash­ion. James Royle picked up a Cardiff er­ror from the kick-off and ran at the de­fence. Fol­low­ing a re­peat set of tack­les, Royle flew in at the cor­ner.

How­ever, the All Golds’ play be­gan to get sloppy and Cardiff pro­duced a well­worked try from Kane Har­ris, con­verted by Dry­den, to bring the score to 26-14.

But Cooper gave the match it’s de­ci­sive turn. An in­nocu­ous fourth tackle carry sud­denly turned into a try-scor­ing run as he brushed off tack­ler af­ter tack­ler in a 45-me­tre run.

Cooper did it again on the All Golds’ next pos­ses­sion, pow­er­ing through in iden­ti­cal fash­ion to set up Evans to go over and with the stand off adding the ex­tras, the game was done and dusted.

All Golds ex­tended their lead through Alas­dair An­der­son, who touched down in the cor­ner with the last play of an en­ter­tain­ing game.

Pic­ture: Lewis Mitchell

James Royle flies in to score for the All Golds

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.