Den­nis goal not enough to beat 10-man Shol­ing

Gloucestershire Echo - - CHELTENHAM TOWN -

CIRENCES­TER trav­elled to the south coast to face Shol­ing for the first time since the 2012-13 sea­son and re­turned home empty handed from a 3-1 de­feat.

They were a goal down af­ter six min­utes when Daniel Ma­son struck from the edge of the box but as the in­ter­val loomed Cirences­ter worked the ball down their left flank re­sult­ing in a cor­ner kick that reached John Den­nis who took a touch be­fore curl­ing his right footed shot in­side the far right post.

Af­ter the break Cirences­ter pressed again but the home side coun­tered as Alex Sawyer col­lected a long ball to the edge of the Cirences­ter box and un­der pres­sure reached the right front cor­ner of the six-yard box where he man­aged to slip the ball past both his marker and the clos­ing ‘keeper.

Shortly be­fore the mid-point of the half Shol­ing were re­duced to 10 men but they re-grouped and with­stood the crosses from the Cirences­ter flanks to launch balls down­field, chase and press, and with full time ap­proach­ing Daniel Ma­son bat­tled for the ball to reach the right by-line where he slipped it in­side for Bradley Tar­gett to cre­ate space to fin­ish with his left foot in­side the far post.

In the first round of the South­ern League Chal­lenge Cup Cirences­ter Town have been drawn at home to Wan­tage Town, while Eve­sham United, who knocked out Daven­try Town on penal­ties in the pre­lim­i­nary round on Wed­nes­day, will play Hale­sowen Town at the Ju­bilee Sta­dium.

On Sat­ur­day, Eve­sham claimed a 2-0 win over Winch­ester City, who had much the bet­ter of the first half.

They were de­nied by the hero­ics of Lochie Robert­son in the Eve­sham goal and Eve­sham led on 52 min­utes, when Aaron Roberts’ cross was met by Lee Chilton at the far post.

The sec­ond goal came five min­utes later when Matt Dodd found him­self un­marked in a crowded box, he was able to thread his shot into the back of the net.

On Tues­day night, Ai­dan Ben­nett scored two goals in three min­utes to see of Yate Town 2-1 in the Glouces­ter­shire Se­nior Cup.

Cirences­ter will now face Bris­tol City Un­der-23s in the last eight.

Char­lie Grif­fin’s side took the ini­tia­tive from the start as they pressed down their flanks, with a dif­fer­ent for­ma­tion and per­son­nel to re­cent games, and created three good chances in the first ten min­utes and by the mid-point Ben­nett had been de­nied by goal­keeper Adam Forster and fired nar­rowly wide of the right post.

In re­ply home keeper Lewis Clay­ton pro­duced a spec­tac­u­lar save to keep­out Al­bert Hop­kins’ free kick and sev­eral more chances went beg­ging for Cirences­ter - with Jack Free­man com­ing clos­est when his fierce strike crashed against the post on the stroke of half-time.

Af­ter the in­ter­val Yate be­gan to test the home de­fence with Hop­kins also strik­ing the bar and Joe Twyman bring­ing another fine save from Clay­ton as they pushed for­ward and just af­ter the hour they opened the scor­ing when Luke Spokes drove the ball in­side the right post.

Cirences­ter re­sponded to the set­back as Tommy Ouldridge fired just over the

bar from the edge of the Yate box and as the game en­tered the fi­nal 15 min­utes he made a strong run down the right chan­nel into the box for Ben­nett to ap­ply the fin­ish touch.

Three min­utes later Ben­nett scored again with a header over the keeper.

Cirences­ter con­tin­ued to press and sev­eral low crosses went through the Yate penalty area with­out con­tact as Cirences­ter edged home.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.