Grimsby Telegraph

India added to travel ‘red list’

-

INDIA has been added to the coronaviru­s “red list” in response to mounting concern about the number of cases there and the emergence of a variant.

The move, announced just hours after Boris Johnson was forced to cancel a trip to the country, comes into force at 4am on Friday, meaning Britons returning after that point will be forced to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days.

Anyone who is not a UK or Irish resident or a British citizen will be banned from entering the country if they have been in India in the previous 10 days.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said so far 103 cases of the Indian variant had been identified in the UK.

Concern about variants of the disease – and whether existing vaccines will prove effective – has led to the Government ramping up plans for a campaign of booster shots later this year.

Mr Hancock told MPs: “We’ve recently seen a new variant first identified in India. We’ve now detected 103 cases of this variant, of which again the vast majority have links to internatio­nal travel and have been picked up by our testing at the border.”

Mr Hancock said the samples have been analysed to see if the new variant has any “concerning characteri­stics” such as greater transmissi­bility or resistance to treatments and vaccines.

He added: “After studying the data, and on a precaution­ary basis, we’ve made the difficult but vital decision to add India to the red list.”

The Prime Minister had been due to travel to India on Sunday on a trip which had already been dramatical­ly scaled back due to the pandemic.

Mr Johnson and his Indian counterpar­t Narendra Modi agreed the cancellati­on of the trip as New Delhi entered a week-long lockdown to tackle a surge in cases and prevent a collapse of the capital’s health system, as India reported 273,810 new infections – the highest daily rise since the pandemic began.

The Prime Minister said: “I do think it’s only sensible to postpone, given what’s happened in India, the shape of the pandemic there.”

The Health Secretary highlighte­d the success of the vaccine rollout – with 10 million people now having received two doses – and falling hospital admissions and deaths. But he told the Commons: “The biggest risk to our progress here in the UK is a new variant that the vaccine does not work as well.”

In the same way that updated vaccines were deployed to tackle flu mutations, Mr Hancock said the Government was “ramping up plans for a booster shot to make sure our vaccines stay ahead of the virus”. “We’ve already procured enough vaccine doses to begin the booster shots later this year,” he said.

Work was being carried out to assess which vaccines will be effective in targeting “variants of concern”, such as the one first found in South Africa.

 ??  ?? The PM enjoys a pint on a visit to Wolverhamp­ton yesterday
The PM enjoys a pint on a visit to Wolverhamp­ton yesterday

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom