Knifeman told he’s facing jail
A Netherburn man who lashed out with a knife during a street brawl has been warned to expect a “substantial” prison sentence.
Connor Stuart (23), of Station Gate, was caught by CCTV cameras and appeared at Hamilton Sheriff Court this week.
He admitted assaulting a man, who was not traced and identified by police, by lunging at him and trying to strike him with a blade.
The incident happened in Charles Street, Craigneuk, on December 1 last year. Michael Macintosh, prosecuting, said police got an anonymous call about a disturbance and CCTV operators were able to monitor the situation and guide officers as they made their way to the scene.
The fiscal showed footage in court, telling Sheriff Douglas Brown: “Various parties can be seen wearing formal dress, with some removing their upper clothing.
“The accused can be seen moving from the side of the road with something in his hand, which appears to be a blade.
“He then leaps into the middle of the fray and aims a blow at a particular individual – a swipe with the knife towards this person’s head or upper body.
“That individual has not been identified and there was no complaint of assault from any member of the public.”
Solicitor advocate Ali Murray said that background reports would be needed before his client is sentenced.
He will address the court on Stuart’s behalf when these are prepared.
Sheriff Brown deferred sentence until December 5 and continued Stuart’s bail, but warned him: “You should expect a substantial period of imprisonment to be imposed given the nature of the offence.”