Man set fire to love ri­val’s flat and stole TV

Hamilton Advertiser - - NEWS -

A man broke into the home of his for­mer part­ner’s new boyfriend and set fire to it.

Luck­ily, there was no one home and a po­lice of­fi­cer was able to put out the blaze be­fore it got out of con­trol.

Fraser Mitchell (25), of Wood­farm Road, Thorn­liebank, Glas­gow, ad­mit­ted break­ing into Daniel Hendry’s flat in New Street, Stonehouse, and start­ing a fire on Jan­uary 14 last year, when he ap­peared at Hamil­ton Sher­iff Court this week.

Cal­lum Forsyth, pros­e­cut­ing, said neigh­bours heard what sounded like a door be­ing forced at about 2am and called the po­lice.

The fis­cal ex­plained: “of­fi­cers saw Mitchell com­ing down the stairs car­ry­ing a TV. They also no­ticed smoke em­a­nat­ing from a flat.

“One of­fi­cer went up­stairs and saw a fire in the liv­ing room. He got a fire ex­tin­guisher from the po­lice car and put out the flames.

“Fire­fight­ers were called out. I un­der­stand pa­per had been set on fire and spread to the car­pet and couch.

“The house­holder, who was not present, was later re­u­nited with his TV and a blue­tooth speaker which was also found on the ac­cused.” mr Forsyth said the cost of re­pairs and re­plac­ing fur­nish­ings was £1300.

A de­fence agent said Mitchell was “in a bad place through drink and drugs” at the time of the break-in.

There had been an “el­e­ment of provo­ca­tion” as his ex’s new part­ner had seen fit to phone him and make com­ments about the sit­u­a­tion.

The so­lic­i­tor added: “he has since sorted him­self out and ob­tained full time em­ploy­ment.

“There has been a dra­matic turn­around in his life and there is an ex­tremely pos­i­tive re­port from so­cial work­ers.” sher­iff Alas­dair Mac­fadyen or­dered Mitchell to do 220 hours of un­paid work within nine months as an al­ter­na­tive to prison.

He told Mitchell: “it’s a pos­i­tive step that you recog­nise the grav­ity of the sit­u­a­tion.

“Cus­tody is clearly a start­ing point, but I’m per­suaded by the pos­i­tive terms of the re­port and the ab­sence of of­fend­ing since this in­ci­dent to of­fer you an al­ter­na­tive.”

Mitchell will also be elec­tron­i­cally tagged for four months and can’t leave his home be­tween 7pm and 7am each day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.