Ju­nior Foot­ball round-up United and ’Gow keep the pres­sure on ti­tle ri­vals

Hamilton Advertiser - - SPORT -

LA­NARK UTD ............................................... 5 THORNIEWOOD ......................................... 2

League Two lead­ers La­nark United kept up their good run with a 5-2 win over Thorniewood United.

Se­cond-placed Les­ma­hagow, who sit four points be­hind, won 3-2 at Annbank United, in their first com­pet­i­tive game since No­vem­ber 24.

La­nark got off to a poor start when de­fender Cammy Law­son sus­tained a thigh in­jury af­ter eight min­utes and had to be re­placed by 17-year-old Jor­dan Fraser.

Hugh Kerr was brought down in­side the box in 10 min­utes and scored from the spot-kick. Stu­art An­netts had the ball in the net on 20 min­utes, but was ruled off­side.

In 43 min­utes an Ian Watt cross was de­flected in by a Thorniewood de­fender, and a minute later Kerr net­ted a third from a Watt cross.

Thorniewood’s Gary Fal­lon was shown a se­cond yel­low card in 58 min­utes, but two min­utes later Gary Ste­wart pulled a goal back, and then headed in for 3-2 af­ter 62 min­utes.

Watt sent a de­light­ful lob over the keeper for La­nark’s fourth, and drove home a De­clan Laf­ferty cross for 5-2 in 89 min­utes.

A Kyle Weir strike and an own-goal fol­low­ing an ef­fort by Matty Clarke had Les­ma­hagow 2-0 ahead at half-time in their game at Annbank United.

Ryan Innes made it 3-1, with Annbank adding a se­cond in 87 min­utes.

As­sis­tant man­ager David Jack­son said: “Thurs­day night was our first train­ing ses­sion in three weeks with lo­cal train­ing premises closed, so the play­ers were a bit tired – but they did well to grab three goals and three points.”

Car­luke Rovers Wan­der­ers.

Rovers took an 11th-minute lead through Keiran Laf­ferty, who picked up a Sam Big­gart lay-off to Steph Larkin to tap the ball into the cor­ner.

Laf­ferty then net­ted but off­side.

Forth equalised through Swann Va­chet drew 2-2 at was Forth ruled five min­utes into the se­cond half.

Rovers re­gained the lead when an Ed­die Ha­ley header was par­ried by the keeper and Larkin slot­ted home the re­bound.

Nathan Fell lev­elled with five min­utes left.

New­mains United lost 3-0 at home to Salt­coats Vics. • Four county clubs are at home when the Ardagh West of Scot­land Cup se­cond round takes place on Satur­day.

Bell­shill Ath­letic host Ben­burb, Car­luke take on Muirkirk at the John Cum­ming Sta­dium, La­nark United en­ter­tain Kil­syth Rangers, and East Kil­bride This­tle pay a visit to New­mains United.

Les­ma­hagow are bound for Gle­nafton Ath­letic, Thorniewood are at Kirk­in­til­loch Rob Roy, and Shotts head for St Roch’s.

In the League One card, Wishaw are at home to Greenock, while Blan­tyre Vics are at Ar­drossan Winton Rovers and Royal Al­bert host Mary­hill.

In League Two, Forth are at Ardeer This­tle.

In ac­tion Car­luke’s Ed­die Ha­ley holds off an op­po­nent dur­ing their 2-2 draw with Forth Wan­der­ers (Pic by Kevin Ra­m­age)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.