Hayes & Harlington Gazette
Puzzles General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which witty dramatist and poet wrote the fairy story The Happy Prince?
A George Bernard Shaw B Tennessee Williams
C Oscar Wilde
D Dylan Thomas
2. Who wrote the best-selling books Fever Pitch and High Fidelity?
A Nick Hornby
B Tim Lott
C Laurie Lee
D Tom Clancy
3. Who was Australian PM from 1949-66?
A Sir Robert Menzies B Sir Robert Peel
C Sir Robert Salisbury D Sir Robert Maxwell
4. Which French composer wrote the opera Carmen?
5. What was Hank’s 12-year-old son called in TV’s King of the Hill? A Hank Junior
6. Nicola Walker is returning as the titular Scottish detective in a new series of which Alibi crime drama this year?
7. What was the family name of the owners of the Ponderosa ranch in the US western series Bonanza?
8. Of which country was Nikita Khrushchev prime minister from 1958 to 1964?
A Soviet Union
9. Who had a number one hit single in 1979 with I Don’t Like Mondays?
A The Boomtown Rats B The Rolling Stones C The Beatles
D The Kinks 10. Which French mathematician discovered the first transcendental number in 1873? A Charles Hermite
B Louis Pasteur
C Honore de Balzac
D Pierre Antoine de Monet
11. Which country did King Wenceslaus II rule over in 12781305?
12. Which former Chancellor of the Exchequer’s middle name was Winston?
A David George
B Douglas Hurd
C Denis Healey
D Norman Lamont
13. Which British publisher founded the Left Book Club?
A Victor Hugo B Victor Gollancz C Victor Meldrew D Victor Polanksi
14. Which former Avengers star appeared in The Upper Hand?
A Honor Thompson B Honor Weston C Honor Bishop D Honor Blackman
15. Which system of alternative medicine was developed by German physician Samuel Hahnemann?
D Hypnosis treatment