Hayes & Harlington Gazette
Puzzles General Knowledge Quiz
1. Which medieval defensive fortification stretches for nearly 1500 miles?
A Hadrian’s Wall
B The Great Wall of China C Offa’s Dyke
D The Wall of Constantinople
2. Which name was given by Thor Heyerdahl to the balsa wood raft on which he travelled from Peru to the Tuamotu islands?
3. Which antipodean wallaby’s ‘Modern Life’ has been a cartoon?
A Rolo B Robbie C Rockie D Rocko
4. In the TV show Knight Rider what was the name of David Hasselhoff’s character?
A James Knight
B Michael Knight
C Frank Knight
D Johnson Knight
5. When was the first modern Olympic Games held?
6. Which former winner of the show replaced Claude Littner as Lord Sugar’s adviser on The Apprentice?
A Leah Totton
B Stella English
C Simon Ambrose
D Tim Campbell
7. Who was the British commander at the Battle of Jutland?
A Admiral Kelly
B Admiral Kitchener C Admiral Jellicoe
D Admiral Nelson
8. What name is given to the great epidemic of plague that ravaged medieval Europe?
A Influenza virus B The Black Death C The great sleep D Measles
9. Which cricketer scored his record third World Cup century for Australia in their 1996 quarterfinal victory against New Zealand? A Shane Warne
B Mathew Waugh
C Mark Waugh
D Troy Warne
10. Which former ‘Goon’ presented Highway on TV?
A Peter Sellers B Spike Milligan C John Cleese D Harry Secombe
11. In which Shakespeare play does Caliban appear?
A A Midsummer Night’s Dream B Measure for Measure
C King Lear
D The Tempest
12. How did the Nazi Herman Goering finally meet his death in 1946?
13. Which US rock band released an album entitled Nine Lives in 1997?
A Guns and Roses
14. What is the usual name for a pelargonium cultivated as a garden plant?
15. Which flying insects belong to the order Lepidoptera?
A Bluebottles B Moths
D Daddy Long Legs