Friends re­mem­ber the good times with young foot­baller

Herald Express - - News - BY GUY HEN­DER­SON

AYOUNG foot­baller de­scribed as “the life and soul of the party” took his own life the day af­ter a night out when friends said he was the hap­pi­est they had seen him in a long time.

Kyle Deakin’s body was found hang­ing from a tree at Canal Way in King­steign­ton, next to New­ton Ab­bot Rugby Club’s ground.

The 22-year-old who played foot­ball for King­steign­ton Ath­letic – known as The Rams – had been re­ported miss­ing by his mother Yola on Au­gust 12.

Friends found his body that evening. Af­ter an in­quest in Torquay his mother said: “He was loved by all, and he is much missed by the fam­ily, and the ‘Ram­ily’, the peo­ple in­volved with the foot­ball club.”

Af­ter his death trib­utes were paid by the lo­cal foot­ball com­mu­nity. Flo­ral trib­utes were left at King­steign­ton Ath­letic’s ground and at Teign Vil­lage, where Kyle also played, there was a minute’s si­lence be­fore a match.

The hear­ing was told Kyle, who lived at Homers Cres­cent, had once self-re­ferred to a de­pres­sion and anx­i­ety ser­vice but had not kept the ap­point­ment. His GP said he had been “feel­ing down”.

In a state­ment read out at the

Kyle Deakin in­quest, his friend and fel­low King­steign­ton foot­baller Con­nor Crow­combe said: “Kyle was the life and soul of the party, a very so­cial per­son, friendly and loud, and with a wide group of friends.

“To look at him you would never think that he had any wor­ries or is­sues. It was al­most as if he would laugh them off.”

He said Kyle had gam­bled but “had it un­der con­trol”.

He went on: “To all in­tents and pur­poses he seemed in con­trol and happy, and there was no in­di­ca­tion that he was think­ing about tak­ing his own life.”

He said they had gone out the night be­fore he died, and Kyle had been “the hap­pi­est I had seen him for a while”.

He was out very late, and had been talk­ing about a new re­la­tion­ship.

Then, he said: “The fol­low­ing morn­ing I heard he was miss­ing. I went out with friends to look for him and we found him at the rugby ground.”

De­tec­tive Con­sta­ble Dan Arnold of New­ton Ab­bot CID said it had been “a tragic case”. He said Kyle had “just dropped off the radar”.

Tor­bay and South Devon Coro­ner Ian Ar­row summed up and said: “I sadly come to the con­clu­sion that Kyle has ended his own life. I note how well liked and well loved Kyle was, and I am sure his friends are all miss­ing him.”

The Sa­mar­i­tans can be reached round the clock, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you need a re­sponse im­me­di­ately, it’s best to call them on 116 123. Also email jo@sa­mar­i­ or visit­mar­i­

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.