Lives put at risk by shock­ing state of restau­rant’s kitchen

Herald Express - - News - BY STAFF RE­PORTER

THE kitchen of a Paign­ton restau­rant was so filthy it and could have caused se­ri­ous ill health or even death, a court has heard.

Tan­doori Nights in Torquay Road has been or­dered to pay more than £7,000 after a pros­e­cu­tion by Tor­bay Coun­cil En­vi­ron­men­tal Health.

Tan­doori Nights was found guilty on four counts for hav­ing very poor stan­dards of clean­ing, food safety prac­tices and per­sonal hy­giene which posed a se­ri­ous risk to health.

The owner, a Mr Khan, pleaded guilty to all four of­fences and was fined £880 per of­fence (£3,520) and or­dered to pay a vic­tim surcharge of £88 and court costs of £3,583.18, a to­tal of £7,191.18.

Mag­is­trates who heard the case at New­ton Ab­bot Mag­is­trates’ Court said the pho­to­graphs of the poor stan­dards were some of the worst they had seen. The mag­is­trates went on to say the ap­palling con­di­tions could have caused a mem­ber of the pub­lic to be­come se­ri­ously ill or even die from eat­ing food pre­pared in such con­di­tions.

Coun­cil­lor Vic Ellery, Tor­bay coun­cil’s ex­ec­u­tive lead for en­vi­ron­ment, said: “We take food safety very se­ri­ously as we need to en­sure that our res­i­dents and vis­i­tors are not ex­posed to any pub­lic health risk.

“When there are fail­ings like this we need to take ac­tion.

“The level of the fine and costs awarded to the own­ers of this restau­rant, along with the com­ments from the mag­is­trates, re­it­er­ate our mes­sage that it is im­por­tant that any­one pre­par­ing or sell­ing food for the pub­lic has to com­ply with food safety leg­is­la­tion.”

Dur­ing the in­spec­tion it was also found that food safety re- cords had not been kept up to date for around 18 months.

Mr Khan vol­un­tar­ily closed the busi­ness for around a week in or­der for thor­ough clean of the kitchen.

The busi­ness was given a zero on the na­tional Food Hy­giene Rat­ing Scheme.

The filthy state of the floors and food prepa­ra­tion area of the kitchen

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.