Hinck­ley win crunch friendly

Hinckley Times - - SPORT -

HINCK­LEY U15s over­came a strong, well or­gan­ised and con­fi­dent Strat­ford side in an in­cred­i­bly phys­i­cal “friendly” in their own back yard.

Both teams went into the ‘Tem­pest’ un­beaten this sea­son, and it was Hinck­ley who took the hon­ours with a 26-17 vic­tory.

At the start of the game, Strat­ford ap­plied in­creas­ing pres­sure and scored the open­ing try.

Hinck­ley hit back and moved the ball for­ward.

Strat­ford tried to kick clear from a scrum deep in their own 22 but a bril­liant charge­down by Bur­ton al­lowed Barnes to chase through and touch down for the equal­is­ing try. Allen’s su­perbly struck con­ver­sion from the touch­line bounced the wrong side of the up­right, tak­ing the score to 5-5.

Turnover ball led to Hinck­ley’s sec­ond try, as ini­tial breaks by Jac­ques, Dug­gins and A. Whit­ting­ham cre­ated space for Allen to jink his way through and stretch over the line for a fan­tas­tic score. Allen con­verted to give Hinck­ley a de­served, well fought 12-5 lead.

Af­ter the break, Hinck­ley tried to run from deep within their 22, but the ball was spilled and Strat­ford took ad­van­tage, break­ing through for their sec­ond try un­der the posts. The con­ver­sion was missed.

Hinck­ley re­sponded bril­liantly as the game re-com- menced, Allen send­ing a pin­point cross-field kick which Smith chased and gath­ered su­perbly, be­fore round­ing his op­po­site num­ber to score un­der the posts. Allen didn’t miss his con­ver­sion and Hinck­ley’s lead was ex­tended to 10-19.

Strat­ford were awarded an­other penalty which they took quickly, ex­ploit­ing space down the blind side to run in their third try and re­duce Hinck­ley’s lead to 17-19 to set up an in­cred­i­bly tense fi­nal five min­utes.

Hinck­ley’s Good­win made a ter­rific steal in the tackle be­fore pop­ping the ball to Jac­ques who pow­ered up to Strat­ford’s 22. Hinck­ley were awarded their first penalty of the sec­ond half as Strat­ford went over the top in a ruck, opt­ing for a scrum, much to the be­muse­ment of the loyal, ner­vous away sup­port­ers.

The de­ci­sion proved to be ge­nius. Hinck­ley’s dom­i­nant scrum held firm, Wainde slipped the ball to Moore who un­leashed Jac­ques at full tilt to smash through the stunned Strat­ford de­fen­sive line and score un­der the posts. Allen con­verted, in­creas­ing Hinck­ley’s lead to 26-17 much to the re­lief of their now rau­cous fans. And this is how the game ended.

This was un­doubt­edly Hinck­ley’s tough­est test of the sea­son so far. De­spite hav­ing three play­ers out through in­jury, the black and am­bers won the bat­tle of the ‘un­beat­a­bles’ which the whole squad, coach­ing and man­age­rial staff, and sup­port­ing fam­i­lies and friends should be im­mensely proud of.

Hinck­ley RFC Un­der 15s in ac­tion. Pic­ture: Lee Buck­ler

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.