De­cem­ber points plan off to fly­ing start for Mar­ket Bos­worth

Hinckley Times - - SPORT -

WITH the last three games of the first half of the sea­son ap­proach­ing the Mar­ket Bos­worth coach, Nick Jack­son, gave the team a chal­lenge.

Get at least thir­teen points this month and they should be safe.

Af­ter the sev­enty mile jour­ney to Cam­bridgeshire things did not look very promis­ing with one player fail­ing to turn up hav­ing been in­volved in an ac­ci­dent on the way and an­other player pulling a ham­string in the warm up.

How­ever, they ran out 33-20 win­ners over Hunt­ing­don.

Within the first few min­utes the Bos­worth cen­tres sprung into ac­tion get­ting Harry Mil­ner over to touch down un­der the posts giv­ing Rich Har­ris an easy con­ver­sion.

Re­ceiv­ing a kick ahead from Hunt­ing­don, Mil­ner knocked the ball for­wards straight into the hands of a Hunt­ing­don player who gained ground all the way to the Bos­worth twenty two where they were caught off­side pre­sent­ing the home side with an easy three points from the re­sult­ing penalty.

Af­ter a se­ries of high kicks test­ing the backs’ skills in catch­ing such balls Bos­worth came off worst when Har­ris’s clear­ance kick was blocked and the loose ball was col­lected by Hunt­ing­don who ran in an easy try in the cor­ner but too far out for the con­ver­sion to be suc­cess­ful but giv­ing the home side the lead.

Bos­worth winger Will Clarke, mak­ing one of his sig­na­ture runs, this time with re­peated short kicks ahead, got play into the Hunt­ing­don twenty two let­ting Joe Ran­don go over near the posts only for the ref­eree to dis­al­low it as he was un­sighted.

The re­sult­ing five me­tre scrum was won by Bos­worth who pushed over for Ricky Wick­war to get the touch down this time and Har­ris to con­vert. The lead was short lived as the Hunt­ing­don full back was al­most im­me­di­ately able to run through the Bos­worth de­fence and score un­der the posts giv­ing their kicker an easy con­ver­sion.

It was then Bos­worth’s turn to re­gain the lead when from the restart the catcher knocked on in his twenty two and hav­ing won the scrum the Bos­worth threes linked up with the back row giv­ing the fi­nal pass to Wick­war to touch down for his sec­ond try on the stroke of half time with the score pretty even at 20 - 19.

The sec­ond half started with nei­ther side look­ing like scor­ing, end to end stuff but both teams fail­ing to com­plete the at­tacks. Joe Ran­don was im­pres­sive how­ever, giv­ing a per­fect demon­stra­tion of de­fen­sive tack­ling. A yel­low card shown to prop, Ben Thomp­son, for a high tackle gave Hunt­ing­don the weight ad­van­tage in the scrum for ten min­utes en­abling them to get a push over for their third try and re­gain the lead.

From the restart Hunt­ing­don knocked on and with Thomp­son back on the field Bos­worth won sev­eral scrums work­ing their way up to within five me­tres of the line, win­ning an­other scrum and get­ting the ball out to Mil­ner to cross for his sec­ond try which Har­ris con­verted and giv­ing the lead back to Bos­worth and the try bonus point.

The lead was con­sol­i­dated when the whole team got in­volved with a break out from a de­fen­sive po­si­tion, win­ning a scrum in Hunt­ing­don’s half and then a team ef­fort helped Wick­war take the fi­nal pass in a well worked move giv­ing him a hat trick of tries.

Har­ris con­verted mak­ing the fi­nal score Hunt­ing­don 20 – Mar­ket Bos­worth 33 and giv­ing Bos­worth five league points to suc­cess­fully start their De­cem­ber chal­lenge. This Satur­day Bos­worth are at home to Long Buckby with a 2.15 kick off.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.