Five-try win for HRFC

Strong start to the new year for Hinck­ley side

Hinckley Times - - SPORT -

HINCK­LEY opened their New Year cam­paign with a com­pre­hen­sive five try bonus point vic­tory in front of a vo­cal Wharfedale crowd at ‘The Av­enue’ and in so do­ing ended a mis­er­able run of form away from home and earned their first points on the road since Septem­ber.

Ol­lie Povoas was again out­stand­ing for Hor­nets and Cal­lum Dacey too showed a wel­come re­turn to form with some ex­cel­lent run­ning and a brace to tries but it was the all round im­prove­ment of the side as whole which was per­haps the most pleas­ing as­pect of a hard fought match.

Wharfedale per­haps had the bet­ter of the first quar­ter as Hinck­ley showed all the signs of a side lack­ing in con­fi­dence. But as the match pro­gressed, so did Hinck­ley, and a stut­ter­ing, mis­take rid­den first 15 min­utes be­came a com­mand­ing sec­ond half per­for­mance when Hinck­ley first ripped the heart out of Dale with 2 tries in quick succession, and then re­stricted a des- per­ate Dale side to a single score in the last 15 min­utes when 3 yel­low cards saw the Hor­nets play­ing with 14 men for most of the pe­riod and at one point find­ing them­selves with only 13 on the field.

Di­rec­tor of Rugby, George Chuter was de­lighted with the per­for­mance.

He said: “It was good to win away from home again. We scored some crack­ing tries and re­ally had to dig deep when we went down to 13 men but we came through against tough op­po­si­tion – a great way to start the new year.”

It didn’t start well for Hor­nets though. A poor kick out of de­fence by Joe Glover af­ter only 2 min­utes gave the Dale backs a chance to run the ball back and it was only some over-ex­u­ber­ance from the Dale pack to con­cede a penalty 10m out which al­lowed Hinck­ley to es­cape.

Five min­utes later though Hor­nets were be­hind. A li­ne­out charge from Povoas saw Hor­nets mak­ing good progress out of de­fence but when the ball was fed to Tom Wheatcroft his re­liev­ing kick was charged down by full-back Harry Bul­lough who then won the footrace to the loose ball and touched down un­der the posts. The con­ver­sion by Jack Blak­eney-Ed­wards was a for­mal­ity and Hor­nets were 7-0 down.

There were signs though that Hinck­ley were be­gin­ning to set­tle, aided it has to be said by some in­ept tac­ti­cal kick­ing from Dale.

On 18 min­utes, Joe Wilson fielded yet an­other poor kick in his own half, fed to Dacey who took it to the 22m line be­fore hand­ing on to Josh Smith. Smith went for the cor­ner but was tack­led il­le­gally as he went to touch down and the ref­eree went un­der the posts for a penalty try to level the scores.

Dale re­took the lead shortly after­wards with a Blak­eney–Ed­wards penalty for a high tackle in front of the Hinck­ley posts but Hor­nets snatched the lead on the half-hour when an­other poor kick out from Dale was again fielded by Wilson who this time fed Jamie Sk­er­ritt to scam­per 40m to score un­chal­lenged. Wilson added the ex­tras.

Hor­nets ex­tended the lead as half-time ap­proached when Povoas picked up at the back of a scrum 10m out and put Dacey in at the cor­ner from short-range.

Dale were not fin­ished though and pulled a try back just be­fore the break when, from a se­ries of pick and drives fol­low­ing an at­tack­ing line-out in the Hinck­ley 22m, the Dale pack even­tu­ally man­aged to rum­ble over. The con­ver­sion was missed but a half-time score of 15-19 was per­haps a fair re­flec­tion of the game to that point.

Hor­nets, though, be­gan to as­sert them­selves on the re­turn and it was no sur­prise when they ex­tended their lead 14 min­utes in when a Hinck­ley scrum on the Dale 5m line fol­low­ing a knock-on pre­sented Joe Glover an op­por­tu­nity to score a trade­mark snip­ing try. The score not only ex­tended the Hinck­ley lead but se­cured Hinck­ley’s first point away from home since Septem­ber. Wilson made it 15-26.

It seemed al­most by way of cel­e­bra­tion when, 3 min­utes later, Dacey seized on a loose Dale pass on half­way to sprint for the line and touch down un­der the posts de­spite the at­ten­tion of 2 would-be Dale tack­lers.

At 15-33 with 20 min­utes to go and Hinck­ley in the as­cen­dant, the match seemed over as a con­test. Two yel­low cards in quick succession though, first for Ryan Hough and then for James More­ton, put the Hor­nets un­der some pres­sure.

The Hinck­ley de­fence, how­ever, held firm, some­times ma­jes­ti­cally some­times with a hint of des­per­a­tion, but hold it did un­til a third yel­low for Mitch Lamb just as Hinck­ley re­turned to full strength, this time for not rolling away in the tackle as Dale threat­ened the line, gave Dale the op­por­tu­nity to rum­ble over from a 5m li­ne­out to take the score to 20-33.

But it was too lit­tle too late. Dacey al­most snatched a hat-trick in time added on when a loose ball on half­way gave him the op­por­tu­nity to run for the line but he was bun­dled into touch just short and Ben Poin­ton booted the ball into the stand a cou­ple of min­utes later to seal the vic­tory and take Hor­nets back up to third place in the divi­sion.

Hor­nets are on the road again next week with a visit to league lead­ers Hull Io­ni­ans. Io­ni­ans, who were well beaten by Hinck­ley ear­lier in the sea­son, have wob­bled a lit­tle in the last few weeks and there is a pos­si­bil­ity that a resur­gent Hinck­ley, bol­stered hope­fully by the re­turn of cap­tain Alex Salt, may spring a sur­prise and put them­selves back in the pro­mo­tion hunt.

Hinck­ley AFC in ac­tion at the week­end. They won 2-0 to get the new year off to a good start. See match re­port in­side. Pic­tures: Mark Par­sons

Calum Dacey in ac­tion for Hinck­ley RFC at the week­end. Pic­ture: Steve Wells

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.