Homes & Gardens
DREAM STUDY Mid-century and modern pieces are combined to great effect
DESIGNER SANDRA BENHAMOU HAS MIXED MID-CENTURY AND MODERN PIECES TO GREAT EFFECT IN THIS WONDROUS WORKSPACE
1. THIS FOUR-BEDROOM apartment is situated on the sixth floor of a classic period building in central London. It is home to a French family, who asked me to take on the refurbishment of the entire apartment. Pictured here is the study within the open-plan living and dining area.
2. The centrepiece of the space is the walnut writing desk, which we bought from the Piasa auction house in Paris. It was designed by Edward Wormley for the Dunbar Furniture Company in Indiana and made in about 1955. The size is perfect and I love the lightness of its design and the way the top appears to float above the base.
3. THE HANDWOVEN wool rug was designed to fit the desk and chair and to create an area distinct from the dining and living spaces, and to make the desk stand out. Its bright yellow colour is not what you might expect, but sometimes the unexpected works well. Here, it accentuates the pop effect of the chair, and its blue-green geometric detail picks up on the colours of the curtains. They, in turn, draw in the leafy green shades seen on the trees beyond the balcony.
4. The bookcases were designed by
Martino Gamper especially for the room. As well as open and covered storage in a mix of depths and timbers, the bottom sections act as radiator covers. Their diagonal detail picks up on the geometric theme of this room.
5. THE SECRET to the success of this space is the combination of materials, colours and patterns with iconic pieces of design. Sometimes I start with one striking piece and then add another – if they look good together, it can be the starting point for a whole design.
Interior designer Sandra Benhamou founded her studio in Paris in 2010. An art collector, she is known for her ability to juxtapose contemporary and vintage pieces in unique and inspiring ways, and for celebrating colour and pattern. Sandra Benhamou Interior Design,
+33 (0) 1 45 67 08 17, sandrabenhamou.com