ALTHOUGH a fire destroyed records that confirm the exact date the pack was founded, the pedigrees in the Foxhound Stud Book are traceable back to 1760. Owned solely by the Fitzwilliam family, whose current representative is Sir Philip Naylor-Leyland Bt MFH, the Fitzwilliam hounds have always been kennelled at Milton Park. Having occupied Milton since 1502, it is understood the family would have had hounds to hunt the hare prior to this.
Ever since an 18th-century Earl Fitzwilliam was unable to find a replacement for a snapped leather, the hunt staff uniquely wear a stirrup leather across their shoulder, as well as their distinctive green collar.
The largely arable country covers an area of approximately
600 square miles, from Stamford in the north, to Higham Ferrers in the south. With over 800 farmers, the hunt “considers itself lucky to be able to hunt over their land and is very grateful for the support it enjoys”.