999 caller plagued ser­vices with fake re­ports


Huddersfield Daily Examiner - - News - By EMMA DAV­I­SON emma.dav­i­[email protected]­plc.com @Em­maDav­i­son10

A PEN­SIONER wasted the time of the emer­gency ser­vices by plagu­ing them with false calls.

Harry Brown was barred from con­tact­ing them for two years fol­low­ing pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions for ma­li­cious com­mu­ni­ca­tions.

But he con­tin­ued to waste the time of emer­gency staff, claim­ing to be sick when noth­ing was wrong with him and even mak­ing a false re­port of a bur­glary at his Green­head home.

The 72-year-old pleaded guilty to breach­ing his Crim­i­nal Be­hav­iour Or­der (CBO) when he ap­peared at Kirklees Mag­is­trates’ Court in Hud­der­s­field.

The two-year or­der was made in Fe­bru­ary last year when the OAP was handed a sus­pended jail term for an iden­ti­cal of­fence.

Prose­cu­tor Na­dine Clough said: “This pro­hibits him from call­ing the emer­gency ser­vices – that in­cludes the po­lice, am­bu­lance and NHS 111 – for a rea­son other than in gen­uine need of an emer­gency.”

But on March 10 Brown called for an am­bu­lance to his Trin­ity Street home twice be­tween 7.30pm and 9.05pm.

Mrs Clough said: “Am­bu­lance staff at­tended at his home on two oc­ca­sions and both times it was con­firmed that he had no med­i­cal prob­lems.

“He then rang the emer­gency ser­vices at 11.40pm and stated that the staff had left equip­ment be­hind.

“This was fol­lowed by a phone call seven min­utes later say­ing that they had left a ra­dio.”

Shortly after mid­night the same evening Brown called po­lice to re­port a bur­glary at his home.

Mrs Clough said: “That wasn’t the case as well. Then on April 29 he called the emer­gency ser­vices want­ing the of­fi­cers to be sacked.”

On Fe­bru­ary 14 last year Brown re­ceived a six-week sus­pended sen­tence or­der which he is still sub­ject to.

This was for per­sis­tently mak­ing ma­li­cious com­mu­ni­ca­tions be­tween De­cem­ber 2017 and Jan­uary 2018 and when he was orig­i­nally handed his CBO.

His so­lic­i­tor Aubrey Samp­son ex­plained that he was given al­co­hol treat­ment as part of that sen­tence.

He said: “The of­fence took place prior to the al­co­hol treat­ment re­quire­ment be­ing un­der­taken and he was in a bit of a state be­cause of his drink­ing.

“He does need help (with) var­i­ous mat­ters but re­ally en­joys be­ing on pro­ba­tion be­cause he’s get­ting the sup­port he needs.”

Mag­is­trates were told that Brown is still drink­ing but in­sists that he has that un­der con­trol.

Chair­man of the bench John Gled­hill told him : “We’ve heard that since the com­mu­nity or­der you haven’t been mak­ing a nui­sance of your­self by ring­ing emer­gency ser­vices, so ob­vi­ously some­thing is work­ing.

“We are not go­ing to ac­ti­vate your sus­pended sen­tence as we feel it would be un­just as there’s a real prospect of re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion.”

In­stead mag­is­trates ex­tended Brown’s sus­pended jail term by eight months, with a nine-month com­mu­nity or­der.

He still has to pay £85 court costs and £85 vic­tim sur­charge.

Harry Brown at Kirklees Mag­is­trates’ Court in Hud­der­s­field

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.