Shooting victim was Las Vegas survivor
One of the victim’s of this week’s mass shooting in California was a survivor of last year’s deadly attack in Las Vegas, it has emerged.
Susan Orfanos said her 27-yearold son Telemachus Orfandos escaped the Route 91 Harvest festival mass shooting, in which 58 people died, but was among the 12 killed in Thousand Oaks on Wednesday.
“My son was in Las Vegas with a lot of his friends and he came home,” his mother told ABC News. “He didn’t come home last night.
“I don’t want prayers. I don’t want thoughts. I want gun control. And I hope nobody else sends me any more prayers. I want gun control. No more guns,” she added.
Mr Orfanos, a US Navy veteran, was shot at the Borderline Bar and Grill when former US marine Ian David Long opened fire with a legally owned .45-calibre Glock handgun, which had an extended magazine that is illegal in California.
Mr Orfanos’s father, Marc, said: “It’s particularly ironic that, after surviving the worst mass shooting in modern history, he went on to be killed in his hometown.”
Long, 28, reportedly had suspected post-traumatic stress disorder after serving a spell in Afghanistan.