MAKE A RAINBOW MANDALA ART PRINT
A symbol for unity, balance and the universe – what better motif to create on your Screen Sensation kit? Ellie Jarvis shows us how
If you’ve ever thought there’s too much mess and expense associated with screenprinting, think again. Craft presenter Stephanie Weightman’s new Screen Sensation printing system makes this detailed technique more accessible and streamlined, while retaining the same smooth results on a variety of surfaces, from card to fabric to wood.
Whether you choose the 12x12 unit or the 7x5 Compact size, your kit will include a base unit, frame and squeegee to pull ink with. Screen Sensation custom designed screens are available in lots of themes. Here, we’ve used ‘Festival’:
1. Select the mesh design you would like to print and make sure everything you need is within easy reach.
2. You can print isolated areas of the design by ‘masking off’ with paper: this will act as a barrier to the ink. Tape the paper to the mesh. Secure your chosen design to the frame, ensuring that the mesh is as flat and tight as possible.
3. Fix your paper to the grid base so it won’t move when you print. Slide the meshed frame into position in the hinged lid of the Screen Sensation.
4. Add the ink to the top of the screen mesh.
5. Using the squeegee provided, drag the ink from top to bottom, across the mesh design, keeping the pressure even.
6. Raise the hinged lid of the Screen Sensation to reveal your beautiful printed design.