Kent Messenger Maidstone
The forgotten building that powered town’s first street lights
Maidstone’s power station is now forgotten.
The borough council built the electricity works in 1900. It supplied the town’s first street lights in 1901 and electric trams three years later. In 1947, the borough lost control when the industry was nationalised. The company was one of 600 independent power companies that shrank into 10 regional boards, with the county town coming under the South East Electricity Board.
The power station at Fairmeadow continued to operate for some years, but was eventually demolished in 1973.