Social care pioneer opened nursery
IN the late 19th century suffragette and social care pioneer Leila Rendel, a young woman from a middle class family in the east end of London, started a nursery for children whose families could not care for them. In 1911, with a high number of children, a permanent building was founded in St Pancras and named after the Victorian illustrator Randolph Caldecott whose pictures decorated the walls. Due to bombing during the First World War the nursery moved to Maidstone where it became known as the Caldecott Community. By 1930 it had grown and cared for about 50 children and provided them with primary education. Most recently the community became a foundation and is now based in Smeeth after moving from Mersham-LeHatch.
ORIGINAL NURSERY: Leila Rendel, top right, at St Pancras in London
EARLIER TIMES: An old photograph showing children at the Caldecott Foundation in the early 20th century