Kentish Express Ashford & District

Couple escape burning Polo

-

A couple narrowly escaped a potentiall­y deadly situation after a quick-thinking motorist warned them their car was on fire.

Firefighte­rs tackled the blaze in Simone Weil Avenue on Sunday afternoon.

The VW Polo is thought to have caught fire after breaking down at the lights on the Drovers roundabout.

Witness Tracey Sorrell said: “I was behind it, waiting to move to the middle lane when I noticed flames on the road underneath so I got out and went to tell them to get out as they didn’t know it was on fire.

“They looked rather shocked and then within minutes the engine went up, it was quite frightenin­g.”

Thanks to Ms Sorrell’s quickthink­ing, no one was injured in the blaze.

She said: “I only did what anyone else would have done. It shocked me how quickly it caught fire.”

 ??  ?? The VW Polo caught fire at the Drovers roundabout on Sunday afternoon
The VW Polo caught fire at the Drovers roundabout on Sunday afternoon

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK