Four de­feats dur­ing sec­ond week­end spells rel­e­ga­tion


Kentish Gazette Canterbury & District - - Rugby Sport -

Can­ter­bury Ladies have been rel­e­gated from the Jaffa Su­per Sixes Cham­pi­onship Women’s Premier Divi­sion.

The city club’s in­door squad fin­ished bot­tom of the ta­ble after win­ning just one of their eight matches over the two week­ends at Telford.

The squad had their work cut out after los­ing three of their four games on the open­ing week­end and they were un­able to im­prove on that record dur­ing week two in Shrop­shire.

They started Satur­day by los­ing 6-2 to Bow­don Hightown with Har­riet Wil­liams and Sian Em­slie the city club’s scor­ers.

Goals from Wil­liams and Paris Gais­son took them into half-time all square against Buck­ing­ham, but de­spite adding a third goal through Ailsa Nay­lor, they were beaten 5-3.

Can­ter­bury trailed 1-0 at half­time against Clifton but hopes were raised by Em­slie’s equaliser, only for their op­po­nents to score three with­out a re­ply in the fi­nal eight min­utes to clinch a 4-1 win.

Can­ter­bury’s fate was sealed by a 4-0 de­feat to Le­ices­ter, the re­sult leav­ing them level on points with Bee­ston – the only team they beat – but worse off on goal dif­fer­ence.

Can­ter­bury’s men fin­ished sixth in the Premier Divi­sion, but were just two points be­hind East Grin­stead who took the fourth and fi­nal qual­i­fy­ing place.

Can­ter­bury had ended the open­ing week­end in fourth, and they made a good start to week two, beat­ing Brook­lands MU 7-4.

Sam Bar­rett and Tom Bean both claimed hat- trick s with Craig Boyne the other marks­man.

Can­ter­bury’s sec­ond match on Satur­day pit­ted them against lead­ers Hamp­stead & West­min­ster who were to fin­ish the com­pe­ti­tion with a 100% record.

Only two goals sep­a­rated the teams at half-time but in the sec­ond pe­riod Hamp­stead ran riot to com­plete a 10-1 win.

Sam Ward scored six of the goals, with the oth­ers com­ing from An­ton Pohling (2), Richard Smith and Kyle White. Bar­rett scored Can­ter­bury’s con­so­la­tion.

Both Can­ter­bury’s games on Sun­day fin­ished in draws with the opener against Sur­biton a real fluc­tu­at­ing con­test.

Can­ter­bury led twice in the first half only to trail 3-2 at the break.

They then moved 4-3 in front be­fore a flurry of three goals in as many min­utes – two of them to Sur­biton and the fi­nal one to Can­ter­bury’s Bean on 38 min­utes – saw the game tied up at 5-5.

Bar­rett claimed an­other tre­ble to fin­ish the tour­na­ment with 14 goals.

Har­ri­son Smith was the city club’s other scorer.

Can­ter­bury led 4-2 at half-time against Team Bath Buc­ca­neers, but failed to add to their tally al­low­ing their op­po­nents to snatch a point with two goals around the half-hour mark.

Bean scored two with Boyne and Smith com­plet­ing their tally.

Can­ter­bury fin­ished on 11 points after three wins, two draws and three de­feats.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.