Care for the community
Saltaire’s name combines that of its founder Sir Titus Salt and of the river that created the valley it stands in. Construction began in 1851. The rich architecture and natural beauty combined to make the housing, civic buildings, parks and the mill itself celebrated both then and today. The mill remained open until 1986 when it became uneconomical. Today it is a visitors’ attraction and a proud example of local heritage. History suggests that Salt was much loved for his efforts to improve the lot of his mill workers. When he died in 1876, more than 100,000 people lined the funeral route. In 2001, Saltaire was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It earned this accolade for being a “complete and well-preserved industrial village of the second half of the 19th century... built in a harmonious style of high architectural standards”.