Chea­dle on the up af­ter away suc­cess

Leek Post & Times - - SPORT -

JUST three Premier Divi­sion games went ahead at the week­end as most teams were in­volved in cup com­pe­ti­tions.

There was a wel­come win for Chea­dle Town, who re­turned from their trip to the south of the county with a 2-1 win at Br­ere­ton So­cial.

Cap­tain Matt Wood­ward and Ben Mil­ner scored for Chea­dle, with Conor Phillips on tar­get for Br­ere­ton. The win lifted the Thor­ley Drive out­fit into 11th spot.

And Redgate Clay­ton took full ad­van­tage of the re­duced pro­gramme to move into third place with a 2-1 win at Wal­sall Phoenix.

Adam Shorto was on the score­sheet for the home side, but Redgate se­cured the points with goals from Jack Daniels and Ed Capewell.

It doesn’t get any eas­ier for bot­tom club Florence who suf­fered their 16th straight de­feat of the sea­son, this time 8-0 at home to East­wood Han­ley.

Mike Mar­ren net­ted four of the goals, with the oth­ers com­ing from Jack Hurd, Liam Robin­son, Mark Shall­cross and Cal­lum Jack­son.

Abbey Hul­ton United moved into sec­ond spot in Divi­sion One with a 2-0 win at Ball Haye Green, thanks to goals from Josh Gra­ham and Louis Sey­mour, while a goal from Sam Nick­lin was enough to earn Fo­ley Meir Re­serves a 1-0 win at home to Keele Univer­sity Re­serves.

Mil­ton United (Scott Bew 2, Sam Wal­lis) took a point from their 3-3 draw at home to im­prov­ing Stafford­shire Moor­lands.

Redgate Clay­ton Re­serves rounded off a good day for the club by beat­ing Wal­sall Phoenix Re­serves 3-0, with first-half goals from Tim Bowyer and Mitch Un­der­wood and a sec­ond-half strike from Harry Bick­er­ton.

Just one game was played in Divi­sion Two, where Chea­dle Town Re­serves lost 4-2 at Feather­stone. Wheat and Cock­field scored for Chea­dle.

Three games were played in the League Chal­lenge Cup, and only one was de­cided in the 90 min­utes. Leek CSOB wel­comed Sil­verdale Ath­letic to Poin­ton Park and beat them 2-0. Josh Hall scored both goals for Leek, one in each half.

There was a six-goal thriller at Wol­stan­ton United. The teams were locked at 3-3 and it was Stafford Town who held their nerve in the penalty shoot-out to win 5-4.

Matt Ro­gal­ski, Dave Ash­ley and Marc Holmes scored for Wol­stan­ton, with Lenny Baker, Andy Dodd and Sam Jes­sup re­ply­ing for Stafford.

Tun­stall Town (Lowe) and Fo­ley Meir (Sam Arnold) drew 1-1 and Tun­stall pro­gressed into the next round with as 6-5 penalty shoot-out win.

There were no goals in the Whit­ting­ton v Leek CSOB Re­serves Pres­i­dent’s Tro­phy game, but Leek went through af­ter win­ning 4-3 on penal­ties.

Aud­ley put four goals past Red Star Alma, who man­aged one in re­ply. Jack Bar­low scored twice for Aud­ley, with Marc Bennett and Jimmy Gar­lick net­ting sin­gles, with Ben Martin on tar­get for Red Star.

Shen­stone Pathfinder (Dan Maxwell) and Mar­ket Dray­ton Tigers (Jake Br­ere­ton drew 1-1, with Shen­stone win­ning 3-1 on penal­ties.

Divi­sion Two lead­ers AFC Al­sager are up for the dou­ble and pro­gressed to the next round of the di­vi­sional cup with a 3-1 home win over East­wood Han­ley Re­serves.

Jor­dan Rigby, Harry Liv­ing­stone and James Morris scored for Al­sager, with Matt Fern net­ting East­wood’s repy.

Ch­ester­ton AFC beat Coven Ath­letic 5-3 and Acorn Al­bion (Joe Oak­ton, Ant War­ring­ton, Joe Slater) were 3-1 win­ners over Hil­ton Har­ri­ers (Joe Dex­ter).

Wol­stan­ton United, red, lost to Stafford Town in the cup.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.