General Knowledge Quiz
1. What was Wagner’s last opera?
A The Ring of the Nibelungs B The Flying Dutchman C Parsifal
D Die Meistersinger
2. Of which country is Prague the capital?
D The Czech Republic
3. In which year did Canada adopt a maple leaf emblem for its flag?
A 1945 B 1985 C 1925 D 1965
4. What was the sequel to Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland called?
A Return to Wonderland B More Wonderment C Through the Looking Glass D Alice’s Big Adventure
5. Which Scottish inventor developed the first commercially practical pneumatic tyres?
A Sir Henry Bessemer
B Sir Henry Cambell Bannerman C John Loudon Macadam D John Boyd Dunlop
6. Which TV sitcom of the 1980s starred James Bolam as relegated television executive Nesbitt Gunn?
A New Tricks
B Room at the Bottom C The TV Lark D Executive Stress
7. Which satanic name comes from the Hebrew for ‘Lord of the Flies’?
A Lucifer B Satan C Beelzebub D Diablo
8. What relation of Queen Victoria was Belgium’s Leopold I?
A Father B Cousin C Uncle D Nephew
9. Who wrote the operetta The Merry Widow?
A Gustav Mahler B Franz Lehar
C Sir Hubert Parry D Nigel Osborne
10. In which year was the Mary Celeste found unmanned near the Azores?
A 1792 B 1822 C 1912 D 1872
11. Which actor wrote Snakes and Ladders in 1978?
A Richard Burton B Dirk Bogarde C Kirk Douglas D Henry Fonda
12. What nationality was the painter Raoul Dufy?
A German B Dutch C American D French
13. Which French composer wrote the Symphonie fantastique?
A Michelle Berlioz B Frank Berlioz C Boris Berlioz D Hector Berlioz
14. Which English king met Francis I of France at the Field of the Cloth of Gold?
A Henry V B George II C Charles I D Henry VIII
15. In which country was thriller writer Ngaio Marsh born?
A New Zealand B Australia C Canada D USA