St Pat’s keep Premier League sta­tus with a hard-fought draw

Lennox Herald - - SPORTS -

Postal United .......... 2 St Pa­trick’s FP ........ 2

Fans of both clubs turned out in force for the CSAFL Round Robin Play Off along with of­fi­cials from the Cen­tral Scot­tish AFL at Crown­point Com­plex on Satur­day – not that the play­ers re­quired re­mind­ing of the im­por­tance of the oc­ca­sion.

Postal started in top gear and had the Saints de­fence on the back foot from the whis­tle.They de­servedly opened their ac­count in the 10th minute.

A free-kick was awarded out on the right after a silly pull on a United player’s jersey, and as the ball was de­liv­ered into the area Hughes re­acted with a pow­er­ful low drive that gave Den­ni­son no chance.

The goal en­cour­aged the home side to go for the jugu­lar with the only play of note from the vis­i­tors came when McColl went close fol­low­ing good work from Gar­diner and McEl­roy.

How­ever, it was the home side’s per­sis­tence that re­mained the high­light of the half, but they found Den­ni­son in fine form with two no­table saves from Hughes and Petrucci.

Dur­ing the break Saints were urged to seize early con­trol of the second half and they did so with rel­ish.

For the first time in the match the home de­fence look ragged and their keeper was sud­denly busy clear­ing his lines as Gra­ham and McColl took a pop.

The turn­ing point in the game came 10 min­utes into the half with a mo­ment of magic.

It came from cap­tain Currie, who col­lected the ball deep, then went on his own, beat­ing three play­ers be­fore end­ing the move with a com­posed fin­ish.

St Pat’s had now found their rhythm and go­ing into the last 15 min­utes they dou­bled their tally.

McEl­roy sent a ball into the area which evaded every­one’s at­ten­tion (Gar­diner has since claimed a touch) be­fore curl­ing un­der the keeper’s body and into the net.

Postal now looked down and out but an­other twist came late in the pro­ceed­ings when a harm­less cross has in­ex­pli­ca­bly han­dled by Ryan Dee­ley and a penalty kick award was dis­patched by Petrucci.

A flurry of ex­cite­ment fol­lowed with two good chances spurned by Postal while Ruane and McColl brought the best out of the United keeper as the game ran into five min­utes of time added on.

The vis­i­tors held on for the re­quired draw and keep their Premier League sta­tus, leav­ing Postal to fight an­other day.

St Pat’s send their old friends best wishes and thank them andThe Duke Bar for their over­whelm­ing hos­pi­tal­ity after the match.

Equaliser Martin Currie

Close thing St Pat’s nearly score against Postal United

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.