Lomond end their sea­son in de­feat S1/2 squad square off against Kil­marnock

Lennox Herald - - SPORTS - John Munn

Loch Lomond S1/2 team faced Kil­marnock at Dil­lichip Park for their last fix­ture of the sea­son at the week­end.

Kil­marnock started the game strongly, catch­ing Lomond off guard and run­ning through to score the first try, which they con­verted.

Lomond quickly replied from the restart, with the ball be­ing passed out to Zan­der af­ter a good move by Trip­ney and Luke, who then ran down the wing to score but the con­ver­sion was missed.

Kil­marnock piled on the pres­sure, and man­aged to get over the try line, and con­vert. From the restart, Lomond looked to get back into the game, and were at­tack­ing well and re­cy­cling the ball.

How­ever a Kil­marnock player snatched the ball from a mis-pass, and ran through to score.

Lomond kept at­tack­ing, and putting pres­sure on the Kil­marnock de­fence.

They man­aged to steal the ball from the vis­i­tors’ li­ne­out, and some quick pass­ing got the ball to Don­ald, who ran into to score.

Min­imunn se­cured the con­ver­sion to bring the first third to a close at 12-19.

From the restart, Kil­marnock were at­tack­ing, and Lomond gave away two penal­ties, al­low­ing Kil­marnock to gain ter­ri­tory.

With their strong run­ners, and some missed tack­les, they scored and con­verted again. Now 12-26 down, Lomond were un­der pres­sure to get some points on the board quickly. Zan­der moved up quickly, and man­aged to win back the ball. A quick pass to Min­imunn and then a quick scis­sors move with Trip­ney cre­ated a gap in the Kil­marnock de­fence, which Min­imunn spot­ted and ran through and scored. Un­for­tu­nately the con­ver­sion was missed.

Soon the Kil­marnock side were on the at­tack again and Lomond play­ers missed tack­les, al­low­ing him to run through and score and con­vert.

Lomond con­tin­ued to work hard, and bat­tle against a Kil­marnock team who seemed to have the up­per hand at this point. They pow­ered through Lomond’s de­fence to score two more tries mak­ing the end of the se­cond third score 17-45.

The fi­nal third of the game started with a Kil­marnock try and con­ver­sion.

At 17-52 down, Lomond play­ers faced an up­hill bat­tle to stay in the game. Kil­marnock were on the hunt for an­other try, how­ever Min­imunn de­nied them with try-sav­ing tackle.

Kil­marnock then gave away a penalty, and Lomond passed the ball quickly out to Zan­der who made a stun­ning run down the wing and scored un­der the posts. Min­imunn scored the con­ver­sion.

Next, Don­ald shrugged off the Kil­marnock de­fence and ran the length of the park to score.

The next restart was then gath­ered by Min­imunn who ran the length of the park to score be­low the posts.

Lomond had now clawed their way back into the game with the score now 37-52. From a Lomond li­ne­out, Kil­marnock man­aged to steal and score a con­verted try.

Kil­marnock fum­bled the restart, al­low­ing Min­imunn to run through and se­cure the ball. Lomond mauled for­ward to­wards the line, win­ning a penalty. Un­der pres­sure, Kil­marnock then gave away an­other penalty.

The ball was passed to Don­ald who scored their fi­nal try of the day. With the con­ver­sion missed. Fi­nal score was 43-59.

Team spirit The Lomond S1/S2’s played well de­spite the de­feat

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.