The Glasgow Herald of January 6, 1826 was advertising the Paddle Steamer Helensburgh.
The advert stated the Helensburgh “plies between Rosneath, Helensburgh, Greenock and Dunglass, connecting with coaches between Glasgow and Dunglass during the time the river is frozen”.
The Helensburgh was built by William Denny and Son of Dumbarton, at their Albert Yard, with her engines built by the ‘Father of Clyde Shipbuilding’ Robert Napier, a famous Son of the Rock. The Helensburgh was the first steamer on the Clyde to have an iron mast. In 1827 she was one of the two fastest ships at the Northern Yacht Club’s August Regatta and, sadly, in that year she ran down a ferry at Erskine with the boatman drowning.
In 1835 the Helensburgh was bought by the Woodside, North Birkenhead and Liverpool Steam Ferry Company, becoming one of the famous Mersey Ferries.
She was broken up at Birkenhead in 1845.