Llanelli’s cup in­ter­est ends early

Llanelli Star - - Soccer -

FIELD­ING an in­ex­pe­ri­enced side in their first-round Nathaniel MG Cup tie at the Cony­gar Sta­dium last week, Llanelli Town’s par­tic­i­pa­tion in the com­pe­ti­tion was brought to an early con­clu­sion as their op­po­nents swept to a con­vinc­ing win.

Tris­tan Jenk­ins, Lenny Evans, An­ton Nel­son and Cai Smith all made their first starts for the visi­tors.

But the hosts were just too pow­er­ful in al­most all de­part­ments as they suc­ceeded in re­strict­ing Llanelli to very few clear-cut chances.

In con­trast, the Blue­birds posed a con­stant threat when­ever they at­tacked.

And they forced vis­it­ing goal­keeper Oliver Davies into early ac­tion as he dealt with at­tempts by Fraser Fin­lay and Ben Fawcett.

James Loveridge did briefly threaten the home goal when he turned his marker and un­leashed a shot.

But goal­keeper Steve Hall brought off a good block to deny him.

With the Blue­birds on top, the in­evitable break­through came on 15 min­utes.

Jack Wil­son seized on a mis­placed pass in his own half and set off on a surg­ing run through the heart of the Reds de­fence be­fore fin­ish­ing in some style with a shot that went beyond Davies.

The lead was al­most dou­bled when a strike from dis­tance by Leon Luby re­bounded off the un­der­side of the bar with Davies beaten.

The same player then hit a de­liv­ery across the face of goal which just failed to pick out a home player.

And the pat­tern of play con­tin­ued after the restart, with the Blue­birds largely dic­tat­ing mat­ters and the visi­tors hang­ing on as they strug­gled to find an equaliser.

The lead was ex­tended in the 67th minute fol­low­ing a Fin­lay cor­ner to the far post which was di­rected back into the mid­dle for Fawcett to power his header into the net.

Wil­son shot inches off target when he worked him­self into a good po­si­tion, be­fore set­ting up Luby, who was also frac­tion­ally wide with his fin­ish.

The Reds in­tro­duced sum­mer sign­ing Reasat Kha­ton for his de­but with 12 min­utes re­main­ing.

But the move could not pre­vent their op­po­nents stretch­ing the ad­van­tage fur­ther after 85 min­utes, with Martin Car­roll play­ing in Fin­lay to fire home to seal an em­phatic vic­tory for the Blue­birds.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.