Smoke alarms ‘saved lives’
A HOUSE fire in Llanelli “could have ended with a fatality had it not been for the smoke alarms,” according to firefighters.
Emergency services were called to a property in Bryngwyn Bach on Sunday morning after a fire broke out in a first-floor bedroom.
Those inside managed to escape the property and call 999 to report the incident and fire crews from Llanelli and Tumble arrived at the address after receiving the call at 6.05am on Sunday. One person was taken to Glangwili Hospital.
A Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “The fire involved the first-floor bedroom of the property and was extinguished by firefighters using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan.
“All persons were accounted for. The police and ambulance service were also in attendance. The fire service left the incident at 7.19am.”
Group manager Sean Lloyd, head of response with the Carmarthenshire county command, emphasised the importance of smoke alarms following the fire.
He said: “There is a strong possibility this incident could have ended with a fatality had it not been for smoke alarms.
“The occupiers were awoken and made aware of the fire, by working smoke alarms.”