House fire “could have ended with a fatality had it not been for smoke alarms”
A HOUSE fire in Llanelli “could have ended with a fatality had it not been for the smoke alarms”, according to firefighters.
Emergency services were called to a property in Bryngwyn Bach on Sunday morning after a fire broke out in the firstfloor bedroom.
Those inside managed to escape the property and call 999 to report the incident and fire crews from Llanelli and Tumble arrived at the address after receiving the call at 6.05am on Sunday, November 25.
One patient was taken to Glangwili Hospital following the incident.
A Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “The fire involved the first-floor bedroom of the property and was extinguished by firefighters using two breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and a positive pressure ventilation fan. The police and ambulance service were also in attendance.”
Group manager Sean Lloyd, head of response with the Carmarthenshire county command, emphasised the importance of smoke alarms following the fire.
He said: “There is a strong possibility that this incident could have ended with a fatality had it not been for the smoke alarms.
“The occupiers were awoken and made aware of the fire by working smoke alarms and were able to evacuate the property and dial 999.
“I cannot emphasise enough the importance of installing working smoke alarms and testing them every week. It could save you and your family’s lives.
“To arrange a free home fire safety check, please phone us on 0800 169 1234 or email [email protected] mawwfire.gov.uk.”
A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called on November 25 at 6.10am to an incident on Bryngwyn Bach, Llanelli.
“One patient was transported to Glangwili Hospital, Carmarthen.”
A Dyfed-Powys Police spokeswoman added: “Police were called at 6.14am on November 25, to a house fire in Bryngwyn Bach, Llanelli. All occupants were out of the property on police attendance. The fire is not being treated as suspicious.”
Emergency services were called to a fire in Bryngwyn Bach, Llanelli, involving the bedroom of the property.