West is best as Pembs duo claim fi­nal spots

Llanelli Star - - SPORT -

THE fi­nal of the West Wales FA In­ter­me­di­ate Cup is go­ing to be an all-Pem­brokeshire duel be­tween Mer­lins Bridge and Carew.

In the first of the semi-fi­nals at Bridge Meadow, it took penal­ties to set­tle the tie be­tween Mer­lins Bridge and Hakin United.

Al­though Mer­lins Bridge cre­ated the bet­ter chances in the open­ing half, it was Hakin who broke the dead­lock in the 27th minute through a 20-yard strike from Nicky Woodrow. That proved to be the only goal in the first 45 minutes.

Mer­lins Bridge were un­lucky to be trail­ing but con­tin­ued to press and got their re­ward in the 67th minute when the un­marked Lau­rie Ha­worth equalised.

When Joe Leahy shot Mer­lins Bridge ahead for the first time in the 96th minute it looked as if they might have done enough, but with just two minutes left there was an­other twist when the ref­eree awarded Hakin a penalty for a foul in the box on Shane Walsh.

Justin Hard­ing gave the keeper no chance with his spot­kick to make it 2-2.

And in sud­den death, Mer­lins Bridge se­cured their place in the fi­nal when keeper Gary Thomas saved a penalty by Jimmy Walker.

In the sec­ond semi-fi­nal, Neath League Premier divi­sion side Gi­ants Grave saw their dream of play­ing at the Lib­erty Sta­dium dashed when beaten 4-2 by Carew at Gar­den Vil­lage FC

Carew were forced on to the back foot in the early stages and in the sev­enth minute con­ceded a penalty when skip­per Iwan Iz­zard handled in the box. Richard Evans obliged with his spot-kick.

But there was no sign of what was to come, and in a re­mark­able 14-minute spell be­fore half-time the tie was turned on its head.

Sam Christo­pher, who turned on the edge of the penalty area, trig­gered a Carew fight­back when he scored an equaliser in the 28th minute.

Three minutes later Carew were ahead for the first time thanks to Lloyd Hughes. A cou­ple more goals from Christo­pher and Hughes gave Carew a com­mand­ing 4-1 lead at the break.

Al­though Evans, with his sec­ond goal of the game, pulled one back soon af­ter the break for Gi­ants Grave, it could not res­cue their cause.

The fi­nal is sched­uled for the Lib­erty Sta­dium on Tues­day, May 7 (7.30pm).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.