Cwm stung by late goals

Llanelli Star - - SOCCER -

CW­MAM­MAN United suf­fered a huge blow to their hopes of a top-three fin­ish in di­vi­sion one of the Welsh League when a late col­lapse saw them beaten 4-3 at home by Ton Pen­tre.

The hosts had been 3-1 up and seem­ingly coast­ing to vic­tory, only to con­cede three goals in the last six min­utes.

It had all started so well with the Blues on the at­tack from the start. A great through ball from Colin Har­ris saw Chris Allen glide through the de­fence to put his side ahead.

The sec­ond half saw Cwm stay on the at­tack and a fine pass from Har­ris found Ryan Thomas, who calmly slot­ted home to make it two.

Ton Pen­tre kept bat­tling and pulled one back with a smart lob over the keeper from out­side the box. But again a Har­ris pass found Thomas, who made it 3-1, and within min­utes Thomas al­most bagged his hat-trick when an over­head kick hit the bar.

But then came the dra­matic late twist. On 84 min­utes a good move by the away side saw them make it 3-2, and they were soon level af­ter be­ing awarded a penalty fol­low­ing a col­li­sion at a cor­ner.

Cwm went straight up the other end and only a su­perb save de­nied a pow­er­ful header by Nathan McNeill. The ball was dis­trib­uted quickly and Ton Pen­tre broke away to score and win the game to joy­ous scenes among their play­ers.

In mid­week, Cw­mam­man had been in­volved in an­other thriller as they bat­tled to a 2-2 draw at Bri­ton Ferry Llan­sawel.

The vis­i­tors en­joyed the early pres­sure, but in the 10th minute Ferry took the lead through a smart fin­ish by ex­pe­ri­enced frontman Gareth Jones.

Cwm tried tak­ing the game to the Reds, with Ryan Thomas, Kyle Ash­ford and Ben Thomas lead­ing the way, while Chris Allen had a shot saved by keeper Conah McFen­ton.

How­ever, in the 28th minute Ferry for­ward Tyler Brock scored with a clin­i­cal fin­ish and for the rest of the half the Cw­mam­man de­fence had to soak up a lot of pres­sure, with the strong goal­keep­ing of Chris Cur­tis keep­ing the vis­i­tors in the game.

Cw­mam­man started the sec­ond pe­riod strongly, with wing­backs Calem Rees and Luke Allen driv­ing down the flanks ef­fec­tively, and on the hour mark Colin Har­ris con­fi­dently scored in the top right cor­ner of McFen­ton’s goal. And just a minute later Cwm mid­fielder Ryan Thomas net­ted with a fan­tas­tic header to bring the scores level.

In the fi­nal min­utes both sides had chances to score but each keeper made fine saves, with Colin Har­ris go­ing close with two free-kicks.

Cw­mam­man face cham­pi­ons Peny­bont at Grenig Park on Satur­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.