Am­man­ford are too strong

Llanelli Star - - FOOTBALL -


PEN­RHYN­COCH............. 1

CUP foot­ball came to the Recre­ation Ground in Am­man­ford on a very warm Satur­day af­ter­noon when the home team wel­comed Pen­rhyn­coch AFC, nick­named the Roost­ers, and their trav­el­ling sup­port in the first round of the Nathaniel MG Cup.

In an ear­lier in­ter­view for a cup pre­view pod­cast, Roost­ers man­ager Gari Lewis rated his team as underdogs for the tie but most sup­port­ers knew it was likely to be any­thing but pre­dictable.

Am­man­ford were cap­tained by full-back Mathew Jones in the ab­sence of reg­u­lar skip­per Rhys Fisher, who had picked up an in­jury dur­ing the week.

The Black and White army were out in force and the drum beat out as match ref­eree Teifion Cook got the game un­der way.

Am­man­ford striker Craig Frater fired wide from the first cor­ner of the game be­fore home de­fender Richard Lewis was the first to test the fin­ger­tips of Roost­ers goal­keeper Leigh Lewis.

The dead­lock was bro­ken af­ter 10 min­utes when Am­man­ford’s Brett Enoch linked up with Frater to set up fel­low striker Gavin Jones, who latched on to the ball on the left and sub­limely volleyed his shot over the goal­keeper to make it 1-0

Am­man­ford were boss­ing the mid­field, with Ben Soal catch­ing the eye, and Pen­rhyn­coch were find­ing it dif­fi­cult to break the Am­man­ford lines, with Eu­ros Grif­fiths mar­shalling at the heart of the de­fence.

Ten min­utes be­fore the break Am­man­ford cap­tain Mathew Jones put in a low cross for striker Gavin Jones to power a low, hard shot into the cor­ner of the net to make it 2-0.

Af­ter the break Am­man­ford picked up where they had left off, with Enoch go­ing close.

Pen­rhyn­coch thought they had pulled a goal back via striker Ian Bur­rell but a fine save from Craig Mor­ris thwarted the ef­fort.

The dan­ger­ous Craig Frater al­most got in at the other end, but with a quar­ter of an hour left an­other close-range header from Pen­rhyn­coch’s Jonathan Foligno sailed over the bar.

Gavin Jones al­most got his hat trick but was de­nied by goal­keeper Leigh Jenk­ins.

With six min­utes re­main­ing Pen­rhyn­coch fi­nally got the goal they wanted when sub­sti­tute Car­wyn Mor­gan headed in from close range from a Lance Jones cross.

Am­man­ford hung on and will now look for­ward to a mouth­wa­ter­ing away trip this Satur­day to Welsh Pre­mier League out­fit New­town in round two.

Am­man­ford cap­tain Rhys Fisher said: “The boys are thrilled and can’t wait to go up to New­town with noth­ing to lose and show Pre­mier League op­po­nents what we can do.”

Gavin Jones scored both Am­man­ford goals in their 2-1 win against Pen­rhyn­coch.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.