Nee­dle scratches boy on chil­dren’s park

Loughborough Echo - - LETTERS - DAVID GODSALL david.godsall@reach­plc.com

A MOTHER faces an anx­ious three­month wait to dis­cover if her son is fine af­ter he scratched him­self on a hy­po­der­mic nee­dle on a Lough­bor­ough park.

The 10-year-old boy was play­ing at Shelthorpe play­ground on Fri­day morn­ing when he picked up what he thought was a pen lid - but it was a nee­dle, and it scratched his skin.

A num­ber of other nee­dles were also dis­cov­ered later on the same site.

Now his mother, who did not wish to be iden­ti­fied, is call­ing for bet­ter ed­u­ca­tion in schools to make chil­dren more aware of the is­sue, and also wants par­ents to be more aware so that this does not hap­pen to their child.

She took her son to Lough­bor­ough Hos­pi­tal fol­low­ing the in­ci­dent, who sent her on to Le­ices­ter Royal In­fir­mary.

The hos­pi­tal have put him on a Hepati­tis B treat­ment course, which in­volves three in­jec­tions, and they also took a blood sam­ple to test if he had been con­tam­i­nated, but the re­sults will not be known for three

months.

She said: “I think it is a dis­grace that th­ese things hap­pen. There needs to be some sort of ed­u­ca­tion in schools about it.

“He didn’t draw blood, but he scratched the skin. I just don’t want this to hap­pen to other chil­dren.”

She said her son did not re­alise the im­pli­ca­tions of com­ing into con­tact with a nee­dle, as he just thought a plas­ter would solve the sit­u­a­tion, and she be­lieves other chil­dren may also be un­aware of the dan­gers.

She added: “I feel guilty as I haven’t ex­plained it to him.”

The mother re­ported the in­ci­dent

to Charn­wood Bor­ough Coun­cil.

A Charn­wood Bor­ough Coun­cil spokesman said: “We were very sorry to hear this has hap­pened and would like to send our best wishes to the young­ster and his fam­ily.

“We were in­formed that a num­ber of nee­dles had been found at the play area in Shelthorpe on Fri­day, June 1 at 2pm. Our con­trac­tor Serco vis­ited the site that af­ter­noon and re­moved a bag con­tain­ing a num­ber of nee­dles.

“We would ad­vise any­one who dis­cov­ers a sy­ringe to not touch it and call the coun­cil as soon as pos­si­ble.”

■ Shelthorpe play­ground. Photo cour­tesy of Google Maps

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.