Loughborough Echo

Town pay the price for slow start to the game


UNDER the lights late on Saturday Loughborou­gh Town 1s took on Lichfield 1s after tracking across the muddy field from the clubhouse.

Town again started slowly by shipping two quick goals in the first quarter. The first goal was well worked being passed around Toby Jackson in goal, and the second being an old school hit into the circle and deflected on its way through to goal.

After the slow start Town worked their way into the game and had two better quarters, though couldn’t put a goal on the score card.

Towards the end of the third quarter, after a Lichfield green card, Town lost possession just outside their half, which the home side converted to take a 3-0 lead heading into the last quarter.

The final quarter was a frantic affair with Town putting pressure on Lichfield’s defence, and it was soon capped off by a consolatio­n goal from Ryan Day. A low drag flick from a well worked short corner ending the scoring at 3-1, with the home side taking all three points.

Next week Town are back at home to play Bedford 1s, which is a 12.30pm start at Loughborou­gh University on the water base pitch. All supporters welcome.

WITH a break in the league,

Loughborou­gh Town Ladies 3rd XI hosted Leicester City 4th XI in a friendly. Would Town be able to return to their winning form of two weeks ago? Only the next 70 minutes would tell.

City won the toss and after a slight mistake sent the ball flying off Town’s back line, not quite the friendly start they had planned. Town retrieved the ball and started to work their way out of their own half. Town, who were fielding a new look side, featuring at least seven players making their debut, definitely started slightly on the back foot, but under the leadership of some seasoned players the team soon settled down.

The game ebbed and flowed throughout the first half, with City having a few more chances, which they managed to convert as the half time whistle blew.

As the second half started Town reflected on the halftime team talk by captains Broekhuijz­en and Perry, where the focus was on communicat­ion, holding the shape and that for a new team, everything was going well.

As the half-progressed Town gained a penalty corner which City defended well and then went on to double their lead, followed by a third quite sooner after.

As the final whistle blew, Town were definitely able to take huge positives from the game despite the score line, and look forward to playing City later in the season.

week saw Loughborou­gh Town Ladies’ 1st XI face Nottingham Trent University 1st XI in the English Hockey Cup (Tier 3). The match ended 0-0 but Town lost 2-0 in a penalty shoot out.

LAST Thursday was the first week of the new Loughborou­gh and District Pubs and Clubs Darts League.

With the reigning champions in The Bull and Bush Division 1 the Bottom Railway BA having the first bye of the season it gave a chance for the rest to steal an early lead.

Despite Kev Bryan scoring the only 180 in the league on the night and Tony Spencer hitting the highest finish of the Division of 117 the Bull and Bush Lions still lost 6-3 to the Ring ‘O’ Bells.

The Royal Oak Shooters joined them at the top of the table with a 6-3 over the Windmill Exiles.

With the Barrow derby between The Three Crowns and the Barrow Cons Club to be rearranged there was only one other game with the Spot on Waifs and Strays beating the Bush Rejects 5-4.

There was four games in the Spot on Division 2, two games in which teams from the same venue.

In the first the Spot on LSU Sexy and we Throw it won by the biggest margin of the evening and the highest finish in all the divisions. They beat the Spot on Guys & Gals 8-1 with Martin Beynon checked out on 130.

The Three Nuns Bluemoon Foxes beat the Windmill A 7-2 and the Riddled with Dartitis (Top Railway) beat the Spot on LSU 26ers by the same margin.

The other two fixtures ended 5-4 with the Bull and Bush Laughing Boys gaining the bragging rights over the Bull and Bush Counts and the Plough beat the Windmill Blue Army.

The three games in the Three Nuns Division 3 all ended in home wins. In another all one pub match the Three Nuns Albions defeated the Three Nuns Left Footers 7-2, the Crown (Shepshed) beat the Peacock A team 6-3 and the Three Crowns (Hathern) overcame the Royal Oak Old uns 5-4.

All the results in the Generous Briton Division 4 were also victorious home sides. The Spot on Foxes beating the Hathern Club 7-2, Top Railway Laffables 6-3 over the Dewdrop Black Pearls and The Plough Ernie’s beating the White Hart Stags 5-4

RESULTS: Bull & Bush Division One: Ring ‘O’ Bells 6-3 Bull & Bush Lions (Kev Bryans 180, Spanner 117 Finish), Spot On Waifs + Strays 5-4 Bull & Bush Rejects, Royal Oak Shooters 6-3 Windmill Exiles, Three Crowns ‘v’ Barrow Cons game to be rearranged. Spot On Division Two: Bull & Bush Laughing Boys 5-4 Bull & Bush Counts, Spot On LSU Sexy + We Throw it 8-1 Spot On Guys & Gals (Martin Beynon 130 Checkout) 3 Nuns Bluemoon Foxes 7-2 Windmill A’s, Plough Thorpe Acre 5-4 Windmill Blue Army, Riddled with Dartitis ( Top Railway) 7-2 Spot On LSU 26ers. Three Nuns Division Three: 3 Crowns Hathern 5-4 Royal Oak Old Uns, 3 Nuns Albion 7-2 3 Nuns Left Footers, Crown Shepshed 6-3 Peacock A-Team, Black Swan JS ‘v’ Beerlegs to be rearranged. Generous Britton Division Four: Top Railway Laffables 6-3 Dewdrop Black Pearls, Plough Ernies 5-4 White Hart Stags, Spot On Foxes 7-2 Hathern Club.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom