General Knowledge Quiz
1. Who wrote the song White Christmas?
A Irving Berlin
B Bing Crosby
C Cole Porter
D George Gershwin
2. Which car manufacturer made the model Elan?
3. With which form of abstract art is British painter Bridget Riley associated?
A Pop art
B Op art
C Abstract art
D Naïve art
4. Who starred as Bridget Jones’s mum in the 2001 and 2004 films? A Celia Imrie
B Judi Dench
C Gemma Jones
D Miranda Richardson
5. Which English explorer, who made three attempts to discover the Northwest Passage, gave his name to a bay on Baffin Island? A Martin Frobisher
B James Cook
C Walter Raleigh
D Francis Drake
6. Edward James Olmos starred in which American military science fiction television series?
B Stargate: SG1
C Babylon 5
D Battlestar Galactica
Edward James Olmos See Question 6.
7. Which American actress played Major ‘Hotlips’ Houlihan in M*A*S*H?
A Loretta Swit
B Gloria Swit
C Tracy Swit
D Rachel Swit
8. What is the name of the prefabricated bridge built from interchangeable and interlocking sections invented in World War II by a British engineer?
A Haig bridge
B Monty bridge
C Bailey bridge
D Frankie bridge
9. Which Asiatic people were led by Genghis Khan and Kublai Khan?
D Japanese 10. Which TV comedy drama about the Territorial Army was set in Roker Bridge?
A Soldier, Soldier
B A Soldier’s Life
C All Quiet on the Preston Front D The Northern Front
11. The flag of which American state bears the legend ‘December 7, 1787’?
A Kansas B Delaware C Nebraska D Georgia
12. Which English Benedictine monk and missionary is known as the Apostle of Germany?
A St Patrick B St Benedict C St Boniface D St John
13. With which war is Florence Nightingale chiefly associated? A The Crimean War
B The Great War
C The Zulu Wars
D The Napoleonic Wars
14. Who won four women’s track events at the 1948 Olympics?
A Stella Walsh
B Charlotte Cooper
C Fanny Blankers-Koen
D Maria Oberbreyer
15. For which fictional hero did Alexander Selkirk provide the model?
B Robinson Crusoe
C Bilbo Baggins
D Lucky Jim