QUIZ OF THE YEAR
IT’S BEEN ANOTHER TUMULTOUS 12 MONTHS, BUT HOW MANY OF THE BIG STORIES CAN YOU REMEMBER?
1. Tory MP Sir Geoffrey Cox came under fire for representing which British overseas territory in a corruption inquiry launched by the Foreign Office?
2. How many party roles does Labour’s Angela Rayner have?
3. What is the name of the party founded in 2021 by former SNP first minister Alex Salmond?
4. Who was the president of the Cop26 summit?
5. How long did Edwin Poots officially serve as DUP leader?
6. Which kids TV character did Boris Johnson mention in his speech to the United Nations General Assembly in September?
7. In which by-election did the Liberal Democrats secure a surprise win in June?
8. The Welsh Labour Government agreed a co-operation deal with which party?
9. Where in Cornwall was the G7 summit in June?
10. The then education secretary Gavin Williamson admitted a “genuine mistake” in September when he confused which two sporting figures?
1. Which record-breaking album became the fastest-selling of 2021 in its first week of release in November, with 261,000 sales in its first seven days?
2. Which couple won the 2021 summer series of ITV2’s Love Island?
3. Sir Anthony Hopkins took home the Oscar for Best Actor at the 93rd Academy Awards – but which fellow Briton won Best Supporting Actor?
4. Which US celebrity couple shocked their fans by reuniting 17 years after ending their high-profile engagement in 2004?
5. Who performed as musical guest at the halftime show for the 2021 Super Bowl in Tampa, Florida?
6. Which celebrity offered a reward for her stolen French bulldogs after her dog walker survived being shot in a robbery in February?
7. In December, Barbados became a republic and declared which popular entertainer a national hero?
8. Name the creator of Brookside and Grange Hill who was knighted by the Princess Royal at Windsor Castle in December.
9. Which former Empire actor was convicted of staging an anti-gay, racist attack on himself and then lying to Chicago police about it?
10. Who said he had turned himself “into a social enterprise, a notfor-profit actor” by using his income for charity?
BIRTHS, DEATHS AND MARRIAGES
1. Where did the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral take place after his death in April at the age of 99?
2. Prime Minister Boris Johnson married partner Carrie Symonds in a secret wedding at which London church in May?
3. How old was Captain Sir Tom Moore when he died in February?
4. What is the full name of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s daughter who was born in June, and which two royals inspired the name?
5. Lady Kitty Spencer, niece of Diana, Princess of Wales, wore a gown by which designer for her wedding to billionaire fashion businessman Michael Lewis in July?
6. Actor James Michael Tyler died in October. What character did he play in sitcom Friends?
7. Which two members of Little
Mix gave birth in August?
8. Girls Aloud singer Sarah Harding died at the age of 39 in September. Which TV talent show catapulted her to fame in 2002?
9. Which singer gave birth to a son named Arthur Ever Winter Jopling in April?
10. Which ex-Spice Girl announced in July that she had married her long-term partner Jade Jones?
1. Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny returned to Russia in January after convalescing in which country following his nerve agent poisoning?
2. Name the US sporting champion who was badly injured in February after his car crashed off the side of a valley road in Los Angeles
3. In July, which cargo ship caused havoc to international shipping by getting stuck in the Suez Canal for six days?
4. What type of natural threat has hit Spain’s La Palma island for
much of this year?
5. What did China announce families would be allowed to do from August to stem its falling population? 6. Journalists from which two countries were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for their fights for freedom of expressions?
7. What did Japan’s Princess Mako do in October which meant she lost her royal status?
8. In June, a beachfront condo collapsed in which US city leaving 98 dead? 9. Six-year-old Eitan Biran was the sole survivor of which tragedy in Italy in May? 10. Why was Joe Biden’s dog sent away from the White House in disgrace in March?
1. Name the sculptor who created a statue of Diana, Princess of Wales, unveiled in the Sunken Garden of Kensington Palace.
2. Which members of the royal family watched England take on Italy in the Euro 2020 final? 3. Sarah, Duchess of York, landed a book deal with romantic fiction publisher Mills & Boon at the start of the year for her debut novel – a fictional account of the life of her great-great-aunt Lady Margaret Montagu Douglas Scott. What is the title of the novel? 4. Gerry Layton, of Leeds, paid how much for a slice of the Prince and Princess of Wales’s wedding cake at an auction in August – over 40 years after they tied the knot? 5. Why did the Queen miss this year’s Remembrance Sunday service in London?
6. Who described the Duke of Edinburgh as “master of the barbecue, legend of banter” after Philip’s death in April? 7. Sisters Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie both gave birth this year. What did they call their first-born children?
8. Where was the family photograph shown in the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s official Christmas card taken? 9. Which royal delivered the opening address at the Cop26 summit? 10. Who was interviewed by the Duchess of Cornwall during the ceremony for this year’s Booker Prize?