Loughborough Echo

Nine man Dynamo end year in defeat


BELPER TOWN 2 LOUGHBOROU­GH DYNAMO 1 LOUGHBOROU­GH Dynamo lost their final game of 2021 in a 2-1 defeat away at Belper Town writes James Kendrick.

It was a typical post-Christmas non-league affair with the pitch and conditions making things difficult for both teams.

In many ways, the referee was the star of the show as he handed out nine yellow cards and three red cards with most of these coming in the second half.

The first half was short on clear cut chances as the ball struggled to get out of a boggy midfield but right on half time Curtis Burrows took a free kick from just outside the box that the keeper couldn’t collect and Dan Collins was on hand to turn the ball home and make it 1-0 to Dynamo at half time.

The second half took on a different tone to the first and just 10 minutes into the second half the referee gave a penalty to Belper and Johnathon Margetts was on hand to send the ball straight down the middle and make it 1-1.

Just two minutes later, Dynamo had a fierce free kick saved as they tried to restore their lead and Carl Sibson the Dynamo defender who was still annoyed about the penalty made a comment to the referee and was sent off for foul and abusive language.

After the sending off, Belper sensed this was their chance to try and win the game and they pushed forward for a winner.

But with 18 minutes to go, the game changed again. Tom Wilson, who replaced former Dynamo striker Karl Demidh at half time, was sent off for a bad challenge .

This time it was Dynamo who sensed that they could win the game and they did have the ball in the back of the net from an excellent Matthews cross. Jacklin headed the ball in but the linesman had his flag up for offside to the surprise of most people in the ground.

Just two minutes later, Belper got the winner. Johnathon Margetts got his second of the game this time scoring from a direct free kick to make it 2-1.

However, the drama didn’t stop there. There were a number of bookings and incidents in the final 10 minutes and when Rob Norris picked up his second yellow card of the game and Loughborou­gh were down to nine men.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from United Kingdom