School shut and pupils sent home after gas leak found
PUPILS were sent home and a school shut following the discovery of a gas leak.
The leak was detected at Poynton High School, on Yew Tree Lane, on Friday morning, December 14, and the supply was immediately isolated in that area.
But the electricity supply to the same area was also lost and headteacher David Waugh took the decision to close the school from 12.20pm that day
He said: “This means that we are unable to provide any form of food (meal or snack) for our students today at either break or lunch.
“In light of this it would represent a significant health and safety risk to our students to not have access to an adequate meal or snack from breakfast time this morning until approximately 4pm this afternoon when they would return home.
“I am therefore closing the school from 12.20pm onwards to allow students to return home in order to ensure they are able to access a suitable meal.
“We have standard ‘close down procedures’ and are currently putting these in to practice.”
Gas engineers were sent to fix the problem - which has been described as a ‘small leak’ - and it was expected the school would reopen as normal on Monday.
Buses were brought early to the school to take students home and those with dietary medical needs were helped in the sixth form kitchen.
Mr Waugh added: “I genuinely understand that this decision causes significant disruption to our students, their families and the local community but it is not safe to expect 1,400 students to go eight hours without access to suitable nutrition.”
“I very much expect that we will be fully up and running for Monday.”