Warn­ing on ‘but­ton’ bat­ter­ies

Manchester Evening News - - NEWS -

FAM­I­LIES are be­ing urged to be aware of the dan­ger of but­ton bat­ter­ies - com­monly found around the house in toys, re­mote con­trols and car fobs - fol­low­ing the death of a child who had swal­lowed one.

The Health­care Safety In­ves­ti­ga­tion Branch said the small, round bat­ter­ies can cause se­ri­ous harm and even death when swal­lowed. It said the bat­tery, when swal­lowed, starts to dis­charge its ‘cur­rent’ and, within a cou­ple of hours, se­ri­ous in­ter­nal burns can oc­cur in the up­per chest re­gion, lead­ing to long-term prob­lems with breath­ing and swal­low­ing - and even death.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.