‘It’s aw­ful some­one can do this’

OWNER’S WARN­ING AS DOG EATS HAM WITH GLASS HID­DEN INSIDE

Manchester Evening News - - NEWS - By ALEXAN­DRA RUCKI

A PUPPY swal­lowed shards of glass hid­den within ham slices de­lib­er­ately left un­der a bush.

Me­lanie Hay made the shock­ing dis­cov­ery when she was walk­ing Bor­der Col­lie Sky­lar on Dairy­ground Road, in Bramhall, Stock­port.

The 47-year-old no­ticed the pooch eat­ing some­thing and was hor­ri­fied to find shards of glass around her mouth.

Me­lanie man­aged to pull the glass from Sky­lar’s mouth and dis­cov­ered it had been con­cealed in slices of ham.

The meat had been folded into parcels with the shards of glass inside.

They had been left un­der a hedge out­side a block of flats on the road.

Luck­ily, the six-month-old pup did not suf­fer any in­juries.

Me­lanie, of Bramhall, re­ported the in­ci­dent to Greater Manch­ester Po­lice and the RSPCA.

She is now warn­ing dog own­ers in the area to be vig­i­lant and has been shar­ing an ap­peal on so­cial me­dia.

Me­lanie said: “The ham was tucked in a corner of the hedge and the pave­ment. I pulled it out with my fin­gers. Shards of glass came out of her mouth. A piece came out of the ham.”

She added: “I felt sick, I did end up cry­ing. I took the pieces and took pho­tos then called the vet.

“It is just so aw­ful some­body can think about do­ing that, it could have killed her.”

A spokes­woman for the RSPCA said: “Dogs are nat­u­rally cu­ri­ous and likely to be drawn to any food on the floor. We urge dog-walk­ers to be cau­tious when walk­ing in the area and to keep a close eye on their dogs.

“If you be­lieve your pet has in­gested some­thing which may harm them, con­tact your vets im­me­di­ately.

“Any­one who has any in­for­ma­tion should con­tact us on 0300 1234 999.”

Six-month-old puppy Sky­lar swal­lowed ham with glass inside it

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.