Hong Kong police to clear protest campus
‘HAZARDOUS’ MATERIAL SWEEP
HONG KONG police have said that they will enter a blockaded university to clean up hazardous material before lifting a 10-day siege, after civilian search teams found no evidence of any protesters still holding out.
Police district chief Ho Yun-sing said safety teams comprising explosive disposal experts will move into Polytechnic University this morning to gather evidence and remove stockpiles of dangerous items including petrol bombs and corrosive liquid.
The decision came after university search teams completed a second day of combing the rubbishlittered campus and failed to find anyone left behind, Mr Ho said.
On Tuesday, one person was found – a young woman in weak condition.
“Our ultimate goal is to restore the safety of the campus and to reopen the campus as soon as possible,” Mr Ho said, adding that university staff will assist in the clean-up.
The university earlier said in a statement that many laboratories and facilities on the campus had been vandalised and that some chemicals and dangerous goods were missing.
Hardcore protesters occupied the campus nearly two weeks ago after blocking the Cross-Harbour Tunnel and set toll booths on fire during clashes with police. Some 1,100 protesters have left or were arrested by police.