999 crews called to ‘chem­i­cal’ alert on street

Man rushed to hos­pi­tal over ricin fears:

Manchester Evening News - - FRONT PAGE - By AN­DREW BARDSLEY an­[email protected] @ABard­s­leyMEN

A RES­I­DENT told of the mo­ment he heard a des­per­ate mother shout ‘my son’s dy­ing in there’ as the emer­gency ser­vices re­sponded to a ‘chem­i­cal’ in­ci­dent.

A man in his 20s fell ill just be­fore 9am yes­ter­day af­ter con­sum­ing an ‘un­known sub­stance’ at a house on Moor Lane in North­ern Moor, in Wythen­shawe.

It’s thought the man may have con­sumed cas­tor seeds, which con­tain traces of the po­ten­tially deadly toxin ricin.

He has since been taken to

Wythen­shawe hos­pi­tal for fur­ther treat­ment, and was said to be in a ‘sta­ble’ con­di­tion.

It fol­lowed a huge re­sponse from the emer­gency ser­vices, with po­lice, sev­eral fire en­gines and paramedics in at­ten­dance.

Of­fi­cers could be seen in haz­mat suits, tak­ing ex­tra pre­cau­tions as they were ini­tially un­sure if the inci

dent posed any wider threat to the com­mu­nity.

But po­lice have stressed there is no cause for con­cern for nearby res­i­dents.

A cor­don was in place on Moor Lane and nearby Sale Road, which has since been lifted, but some prop­er­ties in the im­me­di­ate vicin­ity re­mained taped off as the in­ves­ti­ga­tion con­tin­ued.

Jim Hut­ton, who lives near to the prop­erty, told the M.E.N: “The lad’s mother came out of the house shout­ing ‘where the **** are they? My son’s dy­ing in there.’”

Mr Hut­ton said that she came out of the house twice shout­ing.

“They were putting their bio suits on at that point, they didn’t know ex­actly what was hap­pen­ing at first,” he said.

An­other res­i­dent said he saw fire­fight­ers ar­rive at about 9.30am, quickly fol­lowed by about four or five other fire en­gines.

He came out to see what was go­ing on and was told to ‘get in­side.’

Fire­fight­ers in haz­mat suits then en­tered the house.

He said paramedics weren’t al­lowed in­side the house un­til they were all suited up.

The vic­tim was then brought out on a stretcher in a haz­mat suit ac­com­pa­nied by two fam­ily mem­bers, one of whom was very dis­tressed.

The neigh­bour added: “It’s ab­so­lutely crazy. I just hope ev­ery­one’s ok.”

GMP said: “Po­lice were called by the am­bu­lance ser­vice shortly be­fore 9am this morn­ing (Satur­day) to a re­port of con­cern for the wel­fare of a man at a prop­erty on Moor Lane, North­ern Moor.

“It was es­tab­lished that the man had con­sumed an at this time un­known sub­stance.

“A man, aged in his 20s, is be­ing treated and re­mains in a sta­ble con­di­tion.

“A scene is in place on Moor Lane, which is cur­rently closed to traf­fic.

“There is no wider threat to the com­mu­nity.

“En­quiries are on­go­ing.”

Emer­gency crews wear­ing pro­tec­tive cloth­ing at the in­ci­dent

Moor Lane and nearby Sale Road were cor­doned off by po­lice of­fi­cers

Emer­gency ser­vice work­ers wear­ing haz­mat suits deal with the ‘chem­i­cal’ in­ci­dent A fire­fighter cleans his boots at the scene in Wythen­shawe yes­ter­day

A foren­sics of­fi­cer at the scene yes­ter­day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.