Puppy’s life saved af­ter bis­cuit binge

Manchester Evening News - - NATIONAL -

A 15-WEEK-OLD puppy had to un­dergo life-sav­ing treat­ment af­ter she wolfed down a dou­ble pack of bour­bon bis­cuits.

Owner Jo Higgs, from Bournemout­h, Dorset, re­turned home to find Zeena had eaten all of the bis­cuits.

She sought help from the PDSA Pet Hos­pi­tal in

Bournemout­h af­ter Zeena be­came un­well and her stom­ach bloated.

Miss Higgs, 44, said: “I re­turned home to find the chewed up, empty packet of bis­cuits on the kitchen floor.

“I think my daugh­ter had taken them out of the cup­board and ac­ci­den­tally left them on the side. I didn’t re­alise bour­bon bis­cuits could be so dan­ger­ous for dogs, but when she started act­ing strangely and her tummy ap­peared bloated, I knew some­thing was wrong.”

PDSA vet Paul Cossey gave Zeena emer­gency med­i­ca­tion to make her sick and pre­vent fur­ther ab­sorp­tion of theo­bromine, the chem­i­cal in choco­late that can be toxic to pets. She was also put on a drip to flush any re­main­ing tox­ins out of her body.

Mr Cossey said: “Choco­late can be ex­tremely poi­sonous to dogs. Thank­fully, we were able to pro­vide treat­ment be­fore it was too late.”

Miss Higgs said: “I can’t thank them enough.”

PDSA

Zeena is re­cov­er­ing af­ter her bis­cuit-in­duced or­deal

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.