Vic­tims of flat of hor­ror:

In­side the Manch­ester flat of hor­ror and abuse

Manchester Evening News - - NEWS -

THE men at­tacked by Reyn­hard Si­naga were all dif­fer­ent - but sim­i­lar - in that they were all mas­cu­line, ath­letic, at­trac­tive young men.

Many were study­ing at univer­sity, some fresh­ers start­ing a new life in Manch­ester, away from home for the first time.

The youngest was just 17-years-old, the oldest 36.

All but two of these men iden­tify as het­ero­sex­ual. One told a court he was ‘bi-cu­ri­ous.’

Re­gard­less of sex­u­al­ity, ev­ery sin­gle one said they would have had ab­so­lutely no in­ter­est in any sex­ual ac­tiv­ity with Si­naga.

And all but one were com­pletely obliv­i­ous to the fact that they had been sex­u­ally abused un­til po­lice told them.

I knew there were still peo­ple on the streets so it was pretty safe to walk home on my own.

One stu­dent told court, de­scrib­ing how he was ‘re­ally drunk’ when he walked out of Fifth night­club and into Si­naga’s sights.

The young man started to feel sick and stopped at the Ox­ford Street ‘pad­lock’ bridge to steady him­self.

He felt a tap on his shoul­der, and turned around to see Si­naga, who asked if he was OK. “Just re­ally drunk”, the stu­dent replied. Si­naga in­sisted that he came up to his flat, say­ing it was just ‘30 sec­onds away.’

“You’re too drunk, I live here, just come to mine, it’s fine”, he said.

The stu­dent’s home was very close.

But as he put it: “In my eyes (Si­naga) was a young stu­dent, in the same po­si­tion as I am, help­ing me out.”

Once in­side his flat, Si­naga ush­ered the lad to­wards a ‘comfy-look­ing’ pile of cush­ions and blan­kets on the floor and of­fered him what he thought was a glass of wa­ter. He drank it and fell asleep.

He woke up to see Si­naga read­ing in bed. He felt re­as­sured.

“I felt more at ease that he was sit­ting on the bed maybe look­ing over me to make sure I’m not sick in my sleep,’’ the wit­ness later re­called. The next day he woke at 10am, em­bar­rassed be­cause his trousers were wet, and left the flat with no idea of the hor­rors he had been sub­jected to over the course of sev­eral hours.

“It’s stupid,” he said, when asked why he had gone back to the flat, de­spite liv­ing nearby, by Richard Lit­tler QC, Si­naga’s de­fence bar­ris­ter. “In the mo­ment my head’s spin­ning, I’m feel­ing sick.”

Putting sus­pi­cion to the back of the mind was some­thing a num­ber of men who en­coun­tered Reyn­hard Si­naga would de­scribe do­ing.

One stu­dent had been wait­ing for his girl­friend when Si­naga sug­gested he come back to his flat for a drink and wait for his girl­friend there.

“Ini­tially I said ‘no, no, it’s fine’ and then he said ‘it’s fine just come and wait,’ and I agreed,’’ the man said.

“I thought he was a stu­dent and, at the time in Septem­ber, Fresh­ers would have been around that time and that’s how you pos­si­bly make friends.”

The young man woke up to see Si­naga pat­ting the bed. “I com­pletely freaked out, got up and just ran out the door,” he would later tes­tify.

His last mem­ory, be­fore pass­ing out, had been of be­ing given a taste­less, clear drink.

Films taken by Si­naga would prove that this wit­ness had been sex­u­ally as­saulted three times.

The thought that ‘some­thing might have hap­pened’ had been dis­missed from the man’s mind, un­til de­tec­tives came and found him a year later.

An­other wit­ness didn’t even re­mem­ber meet­ing Si­naga, and had no mem­ory of how

he ended up in his apart­ment. The last thing he re­mem­bered was part­ing com­pany with a friend out­side the Fac­tory night­club and go­ing to get the bus.

His story is par­tic­u­larly har­row­ing.

But his friend re­called a pan­icked con­ver­sa­tion they had, the morn­ing af­ter a night out at Fac­tory, and re­called it to the jury.

“It’s a spe­cific mem­ory”, the friend told court.

“(My friend) said: ‘I have just wo­ken up on some strange Asian man’s floor.’

“He was pan­icky and con­fused.

“He said he was com­pletely naked and in a pool of his own vomit. He said his clothes were next to him in a pile.”

The man would him­self tell ju­rors how he found him­self face down on the floor.

“I felt sick, I felt like I had been drugged and I was try­ing to piece to­gether how I got there,’’ he said.

“I felt very weak, my pupils were di­lated and I didn’t feel like I had only drunk al­co­hol that night.

“When I woke up I saw a man in the bed 5-10 me­tres away from where I was.

“He was also naked.”

Flee­ing the apart­ment in panic, the man sus­pected the worst. “I sus­pected that some­one had raped me,” he said.

“That has never hap­pened to me be­fore.

The rapist had an all-con­sum­ing ob­ses­sion with abus­ing sleep­ing men, but to an­other vic­tim, an ex­pec­tant dad, ‘he seemed like the nicest bloke any­one could meet’.

This man was on a night out in Manch­ester from an­other city.

He left a bar to buy cig­a­rettes, got lost and ended up wan­der­ing the streets look­ing for his ac­com­mo­da­tion af­ter his phone bat­tery died. “I kept on walk­ing around look­ing for the apart­ment,” he said in ev­i­dence.

“Ev­ery time I kept walk­ing around I kept get­ting to the same point again and again and again.

“I was get­ting nowhere which is when I gave up and sat down on a build­ing site.

“I was sat there and all of a sud­den this bloke turned up and called him­self Gra­ham.

“I in­formed him my phone bat­tery had died and he said he had a charger.

“He said it was at his flat around the cor­ner. “He seemed like a nice enough bloke. “He said he was go­ing to help me get charged. At this point I was happy with any help. I was stuck.”

He re­mem­bers sit­ting cross legged with Si­naga on the floor of his apart­ment while his phone charged.

He then blacked out and woke up in a bed.

Si­naga had car­ried - or dragged him there. “He seemed like the nicest bloke any­one could meet re­ally.

“I had no rea­son to even think any­thing bad of him,” he told a jury.

“I thought it was a bit odd but I thought he had just done a good deed and I’m quite be­liev­ing in peo­ple re­ally.

“He asked for a hug and I gave him a hug.” The vic­tim later told friends ‘what a nice guy’ he was.

“That sort of black­ing out and not know­ing what had hap­pened.”

“I’m a hap­pily mar­ried man and I had a fi­ancé at the time and I would never have done any­thing to put that in jeop­ardy be­cause we planned to get mar­ried.”

When his now-wife re­turned home she found her part­ner ‘re­ally up­set, very teary, very anx­ious, re­ally scared.

He stayed in bed all day, still ap­par­ently af­fected by the drugs, and suf­fered ‘at least two’ panic at­tacks, she said.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.